Kherson Travel Answers

change location

Snail mail to Kherson

by denmarkviking Online Now Feb 3, 2006 at 4:10 PM

Hi there

I have posted some present via snailmail to my girlfriend In Kherson. Does any of you know anything about how this works over there, it has been on the way for one and a half month.

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • gordoUSA's Profile Photo

RE: Snail mail to Kherson

by gordoUSA Online Now Feb 3, 2006 at 9:16 PM

I would suggest you address you items in both Russian and English. If you are sending a simple letter 3 weeks should be about average. If you are sending a larger package I do not know. It is VERY expensive to send a package via DHL or FedEx. The mail can be intermittent depending on location or weather.
    NEVER Send money!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Vikingen76's Profile Photo

by Vikingen76 Online Now Feb 5, 2006 at 1:41 AM

You should tell your girl to open a PO-box somewhere in her local post office.. that will make things faster and more sure that she will get her mail.

• PikaUA's Profile Photo

RE: RE: RE: Snail mail to Kherson

by PikaUA Online Now Feb 6, 2006 at 2:33 AM

ALWAYS send the packages to Ukraine as "registered". In this case you have more chances to succeed.

I sent once a small package from abroad to Ukraine without registering it and it was lost. The others two (registered) were OK.

Good luck!
    Valeriy.

• garry123's Profile Photo

by garry123 Online Now Feb 8, 2006 at 3:57 PM

I send parcels regually to my girlfriend who also lives in Kherson from London it takes around a week but I have been told that the parcells are some times opened I sent a parcel DHL it took about 20 days there was a charge of20 at the ukraine side
    If you dont mind me asking what did you send ? I have send Shirts and chocolate by post and desinger gear by DHL

• Marywhotravels's Profile Photo

by Marywhotravels Online Now Feb 22, 2006 at 8:13 AM

Sometimes packages to Ukraine take a long time. My mother in the States often sends me packages (I'm in Melitopol, just few hours east if Kherson), and so far I've received all of them, though the time it takes really varies. Small padded envelopes get through pretty quick because they are not inspected by customs. Boxes usually sit in a customs warehouse for a while, where they may be opened or even confiscated by customs officials. Technically, you are not allowed to send food, cds, or dvds through the Ukrainian mail, so these are things they may confiscate, though often they get through regardless. A post office box is a good idea just to cut down on the chances of some nosy Ukrainian snatching the package before she sees it. Though I've never heard of this actually happening to anybody.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kherson