Khanty-Mansiysk Travel Answers

change location
Tlcusa's Profile Photo

Curious

by Tlcusa Online Now Sep 2, 2004 at 6:47 AM

I have lots of them I'm in the US and know very little about the area. I did some research and found a reference to "ice roads" what are these? I would like to hear anything about the city and the area.

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Pablos_new's Profile Photo

Re: Curious

by Pablos_new Online Now Aug 31, 2004 at 9:35 PM

Hi, I think "ice road" is a free translation of the Russian word - "zimnik". It means - a road available only in winter time. Hopefully in Siberia winter lasts most part of the year. The area around Surgut (and Khanty-Mansijsk as well) - is deep marshes and taiga. So, it is almost impossible (or too expensive) to construct real road across it. If you look at the road map of Siberia you will find many of zimniks - mainly they run along rivers - as taiga is very deep. P.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Tlcusa's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Curious

by Tlcusa Online Now Sep 1, 2004 at 8:16 AM

Thanks for the reply, are there many things to see and do in Khanty Mansiysk ? What do one bedroom apts rent for there? How much are Lada Nevas? How about food, what do milk, bread ext cost? How about eating out ? What are the clubs like what do things like beer and Vodka cost? How about a litre of diesel? I appreciate the information, have you been there often, did you like it? I'm also told to ask, from my friend are the women pretty and for myself are the men handsome? you might not have an answer for my question! Thank you again for your reply, maybe if we go we could meet you.

• Pablos_new's Profile Photo

Re: Curious

by Pablos_new Online Now Sep 1, 2004 at 10:32 PM

Sorry, in Siberia I've been several times in Surgut, but not long time enough to answer so many questions ;-))) I've never been to Kh.-M. P.

• Tlcusa's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Curious

by Tlcusa Online Now Sep 2, 2004 at 6:47 AM

Well thank you anyway for taking the time to respond. The only member from Khanty M has not been on here for nearly two years! Best wishes. T

• hunwagner's Profile Photo

Still interested?

by hunwagner Online Now Feb 28, 2005 at 8:05 AM

I have been to Khanty-Mansiysk.
    Not really a tourist destination unless you have special interest to draw you there (like I did).
    Most people go there for the oil-business.

• RE: RE: Curious

by bostonhom Online Now Apr 22, 2005 at 9:06 PM

Hi there,

I was wondering if you had found out any infor on Khanty-Mansi. I too am interested in learning more of the city as I am planning a trip this year with a bunch of friends who would like to tour the whole country.

Thanks,

marco

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Khanty-Mansiysk