Key West Travel Answers

change location
jb90304's Profile Photo

Want to avoid the Spring Break crowd but....

by jb90304 Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I may visit Key West around March 6th, but that seems like the prime time period for all of the "college spring break" crowds. If I want to avoid this crowd, is there any way around it? Or is my time period just not going to work out for me? If so, I may choose another destination for my week long FL trip... not sure where yet. I live in Orlando so I'd able to just drive out wherever in FL for that week. Have not done much traveling here except for towns along the I-4.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • xymmot's Profile Photo

Re: Want to avoid the Spring Break crowd but....

by xymmot Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 7:34 PM

Just don't go and you avoid the crowd, looks like you're from Fla, so you can go anytime after the spring break

cheers tommy x

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • jb90304's Profile Photo

by jb90304 Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 7:55 PM

Well, I COULD, but I won't have the benefit of having the entire week, more like a weekend or possibly 3 days.
    I happen to be a college student on spring break too, just not looking to be around for the same 'typical' stuff . I have a full-time job as well but I took that week off so then I won't have the oligation for school, job, and internship for the week.
    And not saying I want to avoid people around my age, just the typical spring break stuff isn't really my kind of thing at all. I like to go on small trips whenever I can, but usually only around 2 hrs vicinity of Orlando. I usually travel solo and plan to do the same for this one.

• xymmot's Profile Photo

by xymmot Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 8:30 PM

If you don't like crowds, go the opposite direction or go somewhere else that you might like.

cheers tommy x

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 8:58 PM

Unfortunately, I think just about anywhere in Florida will be crowded for the college spring break time. Ft. Lauderdale is a fabulous and fun city to visit but it too is ripe for the college age crowd. The Elbow Room is still there after YEARS. It was there when I went to Ft. Lauderdale on spring break from college in Illinois. Sanibel, Sarasota, Daytona, Destin. You name it and it will be crowded. You can still go to any of those places and not do what the others are doing. I went to KW last May and then Ft. Lauderdale in October.
    I prefer Ft. Lauderdale and it is a lot closer....probably 5-6 hours driving.
    I also live in O'town and love going to any and all the beach towns. Enjoy wherever you go!! :-)

• Agraichen's Profile Photo

by Agraichen Online Now Feb 5, 2013 at 9:37 PM

ROTFL/LMAO... this has been the scene since I can remember. Daydona, FT Lat, Orlando, KW... OMG... if you don't want East Coast Spring Break go someplace that "doesn't really do that" like maybe hmmmm... Mexico. Lots of fun lots of sun but not the US college crowd.

Then again like in the movie "this is not like Kansas" so just join up and enjoy.

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 8:58 AM

There is no way to get around the fact that it is spring break but there are areas not as popular with the spring break crowd.
    Why not go down the Keys and stay at the lesser known keys, hitting Key West for just a day. Stop in the Everglades area.
    Down the West Coast you have Ft. Myers and Ft. Myers Beach which of course will have plenty of spring breakers but not as bad as the "famous beaches".
    How about a road trip down the West Coast. Stops can include Tarpon Springs, Clearwater Beach, St. Pete., Sarasota, Ft. Myers, Naples, across alligator alley to Miami/Key Largo and down the Keys.
    Should find plenty of information on travel pages and forums and search web sites like trip advisor and floridakeys.com for more information.

• SONG's Profile Photo

by SONG Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 9:02 AM

IF you cross from the Western side across alligator alley to the Miami area, be sure to have a full tank of gas. There are NO stations on alligator alley....or at least til you get pretty close to Miami.

• jb90304's Profile Photo

by jb90304 Online Now Feb 8, 2013 at 10:20 AM

martensd.. I'm considering that option. I have a car with me, so I guess why not enjoy the freedom of it.

and in response to SONG...... thanks for that info. I will keep that in mind. On the other hand, maybe I will invest in a gas station on that route lol, sounds like a great business opportunity.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines