Key West Travel Answers

change location
JasonN9's Profile Photo

Sunrise Suite Review? And help convince friends to do KW!

by JasonN9 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Ok first things first, me and 2 of my buddies are looking to go to Key West for 4 nights and 3 days towards the end of March. The best rates I am seeing is for Sunrise Suites, and I would like to know what everyone thinks of it, specifically people that are going to KW looking to party. Near enough to the beach? Cheap enough to take cabs downtown and back every night? We are all on student budgets!

Also, and probably more importantly, my friends are being a pain about this and not sure if they want to do KW. I've only done KW once, and it was the best time of my life. They have never been. Can someone please talk a little about what it is like to be single and partying in Key West in March, when colleges are all on spring break? Also, Does it matter at all that we would go Mon-Fri, and not be there for any friday night or saturday night, or is it the same every night?

How much do you think the average male would spend a day, if just on food and drinking? (we plan to do more, but this is the main budget lol)

To anyone who responds, seriously thank you, it is GREATLY appreciated, esp if it helps get me there!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • JasonN9's Profile Photo

Re: Sunrise Suite Review? And help convince friends to do KW!

by JasonN9 Online Now Jan 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM

** I have also seen comparable rates for Ibis Bay Beach Resort **

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • ranger49's Profile Photo

by ranger49 Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I have not been to Florida but I found these Reviews on VT -
    Sunrise Suites Resort

• Homanded's Profile Photo

by Homanded Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 4:15 AM

We just returned from KW a couple of days ago, went as a day trip with a friend visiting from out of town.
    Although KW is certainly quieter during the week days it will not disappoint. You will party and enjoy yourselves regardless.

As to hotels, both of which you are looking at are quite a distance from the main area - Duval Street - about 4 miles or 1 hr walking.
    You can always rent a scooter - the preferred means of transportation for tourists visiting the island.
    If you wish to look for something closer, look in the Duvall Street area.

Average cost of food is expensive in KW - including alcohol so don't look for a cheap stay there.
    Average for meals can range in the15-20.00 range, maybe more depending on where you eat.
    There are always cheaper outlets but outside the main tourist area - such as McDonalds, BK, etc.
    Drinks can range from4-5/beer to17.00 mixed drinks.

I hope this helps.

Homer

• martensd's Profile Photo

by martensd Online Now Jan 31, 2013 at 6:30 PM

I would always recommend seeing Key West..The Duval Crawl is a must.
    Having lived down in Big Pine Key, I hit Key West whenever possible. I always stayed at Comfort Inn or Quality Inn after I moved from the Keys because I had points for free rooms, so I can not tell you anything about Sunrise although it looks pretty good on line.

One question; how are you getting down to KW? Are you flying directly to KW or driving down from the Miami area (or just driving from home)?
    To me one of the best drives EVER was coming down the Keys from Miami. Absolutely beautiful.
    Plus if you are driving, you can get out of KW and eat at some places outside of the high cost tourists area. Head to "No Name Grill" in Big Pine Key or "Porky's" in Marathon.
    If you are flying into KW, you can always rent a scooter to get around during the day and cab at night, so even though the Sunrise is not near the Duval hot spot area, it is doable.
    It is pretty active almost everyday and of course you should have no problem having fun at night.
    You can also check out a sunset cruise with free beer and wine.

Drinking down on Duval (as most areas in KW) is not cheap, but depends on HOW MUCH you drink of course.
    As Homer stated you can always eat cheaper at the chain fast food places and you can also find some cheapER places down on Roosevelt off the Duval drag.

Last year my wife and I hit Duval and decided to "snack" at a number of restaurants on Duval and spent well over100.00 I have also done a Duval crawl with wife and another couple and spent twice that on just drinks.
    So you see it depends on what you have to spend and how much you eat and drink. Of course you can always start at the hotel before you head out to save money.

Check out this website for more info on Key West: http://www.key-west.com/

And also check out some of members travel pages and forums on KW for more information on what to see and do.

David

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines