Key Largo Travel Answers

change location

2 full days at Key Largo in mid December, how to best use our time?

by ahzzz Online Now Nov 15, 2011 at 4:40 PM

My wife and I will be at Key Largo for 3 nights, 2 full days available.

We definitely want to try snorkeling if water is not too cold (will it?) and we'd also like to see check out Key West if possible.

I saw reviews about Bahia Honda state park, how does that compare to the other one called John Pennemkemp? Obviously we won't be doing both of them to save time for more sightseeing :)

Thanks!!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Homanded's Profile Photo

Re: 2 full days at Key Largo in mid December, how to best use our time?

by Homanded Online Now Nov 15, 2011 at 5:00 PM

John Pennekamp is actually in Key Largo while Bahia Honda is quite a bit further south, on the way to Key West - over an hour with good traffic.
    Depends on who you talk to and what you like.
    Both offer very nice diving and snorkeling although you are indeed coming in winter.
    If you're from up North (anything further North than say, Atlanta) chances are you'll find the waters still doable. We locals find them pretty cold by December but again, depends on our wind and sea temps for that particular year.
    John Pennekamp will tend to be much more crowded as it is much more accessible to locals and even day tourists out of Miami where Bahia Honda is more for campers and overnighters.
    Again depends on how much driving back and forth you are wanting to do.

Key West deserves and entire day if not two...just for you to keep in mind.
    Why not stay in KW rather than Key Largo?

Homer

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • gwened's Profile Photo

by gwened Online Now Nov 16, 2011 at 2:10 AM

if you need to choose one, do Bahia Honda and stay at Barnacles in Big Pines Key
    Enjoy the keys,its great.

• karen_mo's Profile Photo

by karen_mo Online Now Nov 16, 2011 at 9:47 AM

We found the snorkelling great in john P (actually on the reef, you can get a reasonable priced boat trip from the park) but we thought Bahia was more scenic a place to camp. Both places were very busy if you are plannning to camp, I'd advise you to book in advance. K

• SarahEcho's Profile Photo

by SarahEcho Online Now Aug 29, 2012 at 1:21 AM

I would estimate water in mid december will definitely be in mid 70's... it will be comfortable..just if a quick cold front comes in, the air could be 50 while the water is 75! Definitely would recommend snorkeling at J. P. reef in Key Largo over Bahia Honda. Better reef and sea life to see. Affordable20 for 2 hour charter and 1 full hour in the water through http://www.quicksilversnorkel.com/ ... had a blast. Might also tour with maybe paddleboard guide? Dolphin encounter guaranteed! Went for my first time with www.aquaholicadventures.com and never got wet. We paddled through mangrove tunnels and she gave us information about the key largo backcountry. Have fun, enjoy the area! Agreed with staying in KW for a full day or two... too much to see! Best snorkeling I have done is Looe Key off out of Key West.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines