Key Largo Travel Answers

change location
travelmad478's Profile Photo

What to do around/in Key Largo?

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 7, 2003 at 7:27 PM

Next month, I have a conference in Key Largo that ends on a Friday afternoon. I could fly straight home, or I could hang out until Sunday. (I'll be flying out of Miami.) I've never been to any Keys, but I've been to Miami and don't like it at all...also been to the Ft. Lauderdale area and would be perfectly happy never to see it again. Are the Keys more pleasant and less strip-mall-y? Should I stay the weekend, and if so, where?

Quote & Answer
13 Answers
  • pulgaron's Profile Photo

Re: What to do around/in Key Largo?

by pulgaron Online Now Apr 7, 2003 at 9:11 PM

They are less crowded and built up than the places you did not like. But they are a bit more primitive. To do: Mostly fishing, scuba, snorkling, boat cruising, camping, and drinking. Also visit key west. If you like any of those activities the Mariott has a nice property in Key Largo.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelmad478's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What to do around/in Key Largo?

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 8, 2003 at 4:28 AM

Bob, what don't you like about Key Largo? I'll be at a conference there at some big resort--can't remember the name right now. I doubt I will even step off the grounds of the resort, in fact. What's fun to do in Islamorada? I presume Key West is too far to drive to just for a night or two, right?

• grandmaR's Profile Photo

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 8, 2003 at 6:01 AM

You can certainly drive to Key West for a night. It is about a 4 hour drive from Miami. (or it used to be when I lived there). The Keys are somewhat touristy, but not quite as 'glossy' as Miami and Ft. L (although there are parts of Miami that are quite nice - it's a big place). My daughter lives there, so my perspective of it is a bit different. John Pennacamp park is right there near you, and you could drive down to Marathon and go to the museum at Pigeon Key. Or go to the big swap meet that is every Sat on Big Pine. The other possibility from Key Largo is to visit the Everglades.

• pulgaron's Profile Photo

by pulgaron Online Now Apr 8, 2003 at 7:10 AM

You can drive towards the mainland through Card Sound Rd. and visit a real south florida institution. Alabama Jacks. Have a beer and people watch. See the Keys from the air in a pontoon airplane. The pilot only has one hand, but don't be no worries, he's really good. Some Saturday's they have clogging, if you're into that.

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 8, 2003 at 5:52 PM

I thought of Bimini too Bob. It's kind of like Key West was 50 or 60 years ago (before my time at least). But I wasn't sure whether leaving the US was desireable if one hasn't even been to Key West. I quite like Key West even though we aren't into the party scene, but we used to live there and I've always had a soft spot for it. I like Marathon too, at least from a boat. I must confess I've not been to either Key Largo or Islamorado except to drive through.

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 9, 2003 at 12:05 PM

> I thought of Bimini too Bob. It's kind of like Key West was 50 or 60 years ago (before my time at least). But I wasn't sure whether leaving the US was desireable if one hasn't even been to Key West. Oh, you guys HAD to introduce another possible destination entirely, didn't you? Don't worry about the question of leaving the US--I do it pretty much on a monthly basis, even though I've never been to Key West. Questions about Bimini: where does one catch a flight there, how much might that run me, where to stay, do you need a car there, and is it possible/worthwhile to do this for just a two-day visit? And just what country is Bimini, anyway (its own? Or belonging to another one? Sorry for my extreme ignorance.) Thanks for humoring me...

by grandmaR Online Now Apr 9, 2003 at 2:17 PM

Well since you haven't picked up on the Everglades -- Bimini is the closest island of the Bahamas to Florida. It's about 40 miles off Miami. Go not only to Bob's North Bimini page (tropic diver)www12.virtualtourist.com/m/4... but also mine - mine are more under Alicetown and Bimini District. But he's the expert on going by sea plane. I've only been on our boat and that would be difficult for you since it is on the hard in Maryland at the moment. No cars for rent. Even I can walk eveywhere one would want to go. There is a very interesting little museum which has stuff about Hemingway, Lerner marine laboratory, the old time wreckers, how sports fishing became popular, the wild children (like Adam Clayton Powell) who vacationed here, smuggling during prohibition, the immigration card of Jimmy Hoffa, and the sports hero records. You can also if you are inclined go on trip to swim (snorkel) with wild dolphins. They have about an 80% success rate of having the wild dolphins come to swim with you.

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 9, 2003 at 3:25 PM

> Well since you haven't picked up on the Everglades -- Sorry about that Rosalie--I saw your suggestion, but as it happens I have been to the Everglades already...I'm one of those people who likes to do new things every chance I get. Thanks for all the Bimini info too, guys. I think I will take this weekend to figure out the whole shebang. I don't have too much time to plan all this, so I am likely to just take the path of least resistance as it presents itself!

• SarahTony's Profile Photo

by SarahTony Online Now Apr 27, 2003 at 3:14 AM

We visited Key Largo on our honeymoon last year and are going back in October 2003. We absolutely loved it! We stayed at a really peaceful resort on the Bay called Amoray Dive Resort and it was divine! One restaurant I would recommend is Sundowners on the Bay.......gorgeous food and a balcony on which you can watch the sun go down! The John Pennekamp national park is in Key Largo and if you fancy a drive further down the keys, the Dolphin Research Centre is worth a visit.. Hope this helps!

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 27, 2003 at 5:18 AM

Well, funny you should ask, because I have just gotten the whole shebang put together. I ended up having to do a pretty exhaustive accommodations search--I wanted to find a place with a price low enough that I could get my company to pay for it under the "Saturday night stay" rule. The only place that came through was Edgewater Lodge in Long Key, somewhere around mile marker 65 or so. This seemed close enough to Islamorada to fit the bill. I've got a dive trip scheduled for Saturday morning, found about fifty restaurants to try on Chowhound.com, and plan to spend some time bird watching. That ought to fill up two days. So: off I go on May 13! Thanks for the information and suggestions!

by travelmad478 Online Now Apr 27, 2003 at 8:27 AM

Thanks Bob! Your list is now appended to my Keys to-do file. I hope I get through 10% of it!

• uruguaybound's Profile Photo

RE: What to do around/in Key Largo?

by uruguaybound Online Now Apr 28, 2006 at 2:17 AM

Hi

It depends what you enjoy. The Key's are gorgious if you love water.

Great boating, fishing, diving, and snorkelling.

There are some great off beat restaurants and cool places to chill.

If I can help email me at uruguaybound@yahoo.com.

My name is John, I'm a canadian living in Key Largo.

Good travels

• Re: What to do around/in Key Largo?

by keywest123 Online Now Mar 25, 2007 at 7:56 AM

I suggest a sunset sail,which is relaxing & beautiful in the Keys, go to Key Largo Coffeehouse/Restaurant,(a unique house set amoung trees, you can go to several nice restaurants/bars on the water, you should definitely take advantage of great snorkeling, which the Keys are famous for! Bring your camera. In Marathon there's a Dolphin Research Center; you can spend hours enjoying these beautiful mammals & observing the newborns, of which there are a few! Uncles Restaurant/bar in Tavenier/Key Largo is a casual, Italian, wonderful place with a nice patio. You'll feel you're in the tropics/food is delicious.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines