Keukenhof Travel Answers

change location

Roiute map - Keukenhof area.

by Davidg1933 Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 4:41 AM

In May this year I will travel from Newcastle to Ijmuiden. From there I will drive to Lisse. I am trying to obtain a good, large scale map showing this route. I would also like a similar map showing the area around Lisse. Can anyone advise me where I can obtain such maps.

Thanks,

Dave.

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

Re: Roiute map - Keukenhof area.

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 9:09 AM

There will be local maps for sale at the Lisse bookstore. I assume the most popular one will be the Falkplan map.

Example see: http://www.kaart.nl/
    Enter postcode (postal code): 2161 JK
    Play around with the zoom level.

If you want to buy a map earlier look for a bookshop at IJmuiden and ask for a "Stratenboek". This is a book with all Dutch towns and villages.

Some stores:
    Boekhandel Erasmus, Marktplein 33, 1972GA
    Boekenvoordeel BV, Lange Nieuwstraat 733, 1971GG IJmuiden

Grimbergen, Heereweg 237, 2161BG Lisse
    Christelijke Boekhandel De Kapel, Kapelstraat 10, 2161HD Lisse

PJ

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Route map - Keukenhof area.

by Davidg1933 Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 10:55 AM

Thank you very much for the reply and all the information that you provided.
    It is a number of years since I drove in Holland. On that occasion I drove to Zandvoort with aid of a map which I no longer seem to possess. I have a Sat. Nav. with European maps installed but I always like to have a good map so that I can have knowledge of the route before I set off. Hopefully I will now obtain such a map.
    Thanks again for your help.

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM

The route is actual very simple:
    From the ferry drive to the East along the South side of the canal and take a right onto the A208 highway to Haarlem. That roads continues into a provincial road called N208 along Heemstede, Hillegom into Lisse.

BTW At Haarlem you still can opt for the N200 to Zantvoort at the coast and the N201 back to the N208.

PJ

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 12:26 PM

Gee PJ, you don't want to burden our fellow VT member with a thick heavy Stratenboek, do you? :-)

Any gas station in the area will have the maps for that area on sale. The prices for Falk maps are the same everywhere so there's no need to find a book shop.

I also suggest you write to the local tourist office: info@vvvlisse.nl

They could send you some brochures and a map of Lisse. Stuff which you could normally get when you visit the tourist office in person. I like to request those to be sent to my home before I am going on a trip myself and usually they comply.

If you are interested, the area is perfect for cycling. It means you can enjoy the bulb fields which is a completely different experience from the actual Keukenhof where everything is made pretty. I did love the Keukenhof, but a bike ride amongst the fields is quite something else.

Lisse tourist information has cycling routes.
    Or see my Keukenhof page on how you can rent bikes there:

Keukenhof Things to Do Tips by ATLC

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 1:18 PM

I saw interest in doing detours; the Stratenboek covers that all.

PJ

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 2:36 PM

honestly, you don't need a street book for that. Unless you want to spend nearly 25 euro (which is what it costs) for a little trip.

Anyhow, you can't get lost very easily. If you drive too far east you'll always hit upon the A44 motorway or A4 motorway. North it goes towards Amsterdam, south it goes towards The Hague and Rotterdam.

I know the area well, having lived there in childhood and as an adult.
    It's not that the small places around Lisse are that attractive anyway. There's no real country scenery. The bulb fields (in season), otherwise its more industrial agriculture. Not many fancy houses, these are all hardworking, no nonsense farmers.

You could go to the coast (Noordwijk aan Zee, Katwijk aan Zee), do a walk in the dunes or on the beach, visit larger towns such as Leiden or The Hague or Haarlem. This, I recommend.

If you do want to go sightseeing, I'd rather recommend north of Amsterdam (Zaandam, Broek in Waterland, Hoorn, Enkhuizen). PJ, you can advise on that best.
    Besides, there are plenty of flower fields in that region too. Even seen from the motorway A7 right up to the Afsluitdijk (to the province Friesland). I enjoy that very much when I happen to be going along there.

• Pijlmans's Profile Photo

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 22, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Hi,

Since you already have navigation equipment and you just need the map to familiarize yourself with the route, you can also use Google Maps:

http://maps.google.nl/

Use an online route planner such as this one for a detailed route: http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/

Cheers,
    Dennis

• Re: Route map - Keukenhof area.

by Davidg1933 Online Now Feb 25, 2011 at 12:59 PM

Many thanks to all of you who replied. I was very pleasantly surprised to find that so many people are prepared to be of assistance. The information you have supplied will be of great help.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines