Keukenhof Travel Answers

change location
btravis311's Profile Photo

Need an affordable transfer from Rotterdam to Keukenhof and back.

by btravis311 Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 1:17 PM

Greetings! We're gonna be in Rotterdam from 8am to 5pm during a cruise stop in April of 2010. I'd like to hire someone (taxi, tour operator, etc.) to pick my wife and me up at 11am near Nieuwe Binnenweg 59 3014 GD Rotterdam and take us directly to Keukenhof. Then, at around 3:30pm that same day, we'll need a ride back to the cruise ship terminal. Can anyone recommend a provider who can do this? I don't need a tour guide or any special services. I just need a safe ride to and fro that doesn't several hundred Euros. Thanks for any advice!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Pijlmans's Profile Photo

Re: Need an affordable transfer from Rotterdam to Keukenhof and back.

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Hi,

You can check the yellow pages: detelefoongids.nl/bg/plaats-...

Don't know about the costs, it won't be cheap!

Public transport will take about 1.5 hours (http://journeyplanner.9292.nl/)

When using the combi ticket, buses go from Leiden Station directly to Keukenhof: keukenhof.nl/13/accessibilit...

Cheers,
    Dennis

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 17, 2010 at 10:32 PM

In addition:

Rotterdam Binnenweg to Leiden station is 45 minutes, the buses from Leiden to Keukenhof are every 15 minutes. Rotterda-Leiden is about 8 euros one way.

May be your best option in combination with a combi ticket for Keukenhof.

A taxi will take at least 45 minutes as well, and you'll have to wait in line for your ticket if you do not have the combi-ticket (unless you buy them online in advance!). I think taxi will at least be 10-fold more expensive.

Cheers,
    Dennis

• btravis311's Profile Photo

by btravis311 Online Now Feb 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Yeah, I do know that the public transportation is much more affordable. Unfortunately, we don't want to take up 3 hours of our short time just getting back and forth. Any other suggestions? Are you familiar with any Rotterdam based tour companies?

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 18, 2010 at 9:49 AM

I understand! But it seems that public transport takes about 30 min longer than by car (maybe 30min-60min)...So you won't save too much time, but a lot of money.

But I can understand that would rather be safe than sorry and go by car...

I don't know of such companies, but somebody else might...

• btravis311's Profile Photo

by btravis311 Online Now Feb 19, 2010 at 1:50 PM

Dennis, thanks so much for your advice. I think I may have changed my mind and will use the public transportation, if for no other reason than to be more environmentally friendly!

I do have a couple of questions:

In Rotterdam, are the buses, metro (underground) and tram (above ground) operated by RET?

Is the train that goes from Rotterdam Central to Leiden Central operated by NS?

After we get off the cruise ship, I see that the metro station Wilhelminaplein is within walking distance. Once I get there, will I be able to purchase fare for both the RET Metro and NS train trips?

Will I need to buy an "OV-chipkaart"? Will that "OV-chipkaart" work for both the metro and train?

Will I be able to get on and off the metro between Wilhelminaplein and Rotterdam Centraal without buying extra fare?

by Pijlmans Online Now Feb 19, 2010 at 10:22 PM

I am not from Rotterdam so I don't know the situation there very well.

All public transport except for trains (as far as I know) requires the OV chip-card.

The journeyplanner says that you can walk from Nieuwe Binnenweg to Rotterdam Central station, and take the train to Leiden station. That train is operated by NS. No need for OV-chipcard there.

For the train you can still buy normal tickets, I am not sure of the OV-chipcard works there.

Getting on and off the metro only is possible within a certain timeframe (i think 20-30 min), then it still is a transfer. Otherwise it will be a new ride.

Dennis

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines