Keukenhof Travel Answers

change location

Time allocation

by vbr366 Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 10:27 PM

We plan to go to keukenhof for spring flowers in the coming week. We probably take a train to Leiden from Amsterdam, then a shuttle to the gardens. Would this pretty much the whole day if I also spend some time in Leiden too? How long should I spend in the gardens? Are there nice restaurants in Leiden you can recommend for dinner? What time do they normally serve dinner? Is it much later than North American standard of 6-7 pm?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • ATLC's Profile Photo

Re: Time allocation

by ATLC Online Now Apr 5, 2007 at 11:11 PM

That sounds like a good itinerary for one day. I would go to Keukenhof first (quite early) for half a day.
    Leiden is a nice town to stroll around. When you come off the train in Leiden, walk straight on (Stationsstraat) and you'll find the Tourist Office (VVV) on one of the first righthand corner (can't remember if it is the first one). You can get a free map there.
    On my Leiden page under To Do Tips, there's a description of a walk you can do. It doesn't lead you along Rapenburg though with the Academic buildings, the Hortus Botanicus and general old grandeur.
    Explore between the area of little squares and alleys surrounded by Breestraat and Rapenburg. You'll also find restaurants there which are nice.

My Leiden page is at "Leiden, finally underway !" - Leiden by ATLC

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • pieter_jan_v's Profile Photo

by pieter_jan_v Online Now Apr 6, 2007 at 12:06 AM

Leiden Restaurants:

iens.nl/english/restaurantsI...

6-7PM is the same here.

Have a great day,

PJ

• Re: Time allocation

by vbr366 Online Now Apr 6, 2007 at 8:13 PM

After I checked the map, I realized that Leiden is actually further south of Amsterdam than Keukenhof. Yet people usually go to Leiden by train first then Keukenhof by bus. Is it more direct to go there via Haarlem? Is there a shuttle bus connects Haarlem train station to Keukenhof?
    VBR366

• ATLC's Profile Photo

by ATLC Online Now Apr 6, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Have you checked the official website www.keukenhof.nl ? It says how to get there from Haarlem:

Public transport:
    During the opening of Keukenhof, bus nr 54 (Keukenhof Express) will drive from Leiden Central Station directly to our park.
    From Haarlem, Keukenhof can be reached with line bus nr 50 or bus nr 51; in Lisse you can change over to the shuttle bus, bus nr 57. A combi-ticket for the bus and admission to Keukenhof costs € 18,00. 65+ € 15,00 and children (6 - 11) € 10,00.
    Bus nr 58 is a direct connection from Schipol to Keukenhof.
    For more information on service arrangements, call the OV-travel information, 0900-9292 (€ 0,70 p.m.) or check on
    Keukenhof-Express.

keukenhof.nl/nm/156/Practica...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines