Ketchikan Travel Answers

change location

A bit of help

by inmaculada31 Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 12:28 AM

We are a family of four ( kids 11 and 17 )we have our first cruise to Alaska on Norwegian Sun in three weeks time. We haven´t pre-booked tours through our cruise company because they seem to be really expensive for the four of us.We are not on a budget but we have to think where we spend the money ( worth it )because we are from Europe and we will be on holidays for about a month ...As well as that we don´t want to miss the nicest things we can do and see there so I was wondering what do you suggest us to do in a few hours that the cruise stops. Thank you

Quote & Answer
9 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: A bit of help

by travelgourmet Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 12:34 AM

Head for Creek Street and walk the stores. Behind them will be a salmon run area. The town has many interesting stores and the cruise ships dock right in front of the town. Reindeer hot dogs on Creek Street. You can even rent a kayak for a while.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 12:45 AM

You may want to put Ketchikan in the VT search space for destinations and click "Go". There are tips for this town. Also try the website: www.visit-ketchikan.com

• USanFrancisco's Profile Photo

by USanFrancisco Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 2:11 AM

I would see if there are any excursions that will take you to the Misty Fjords National Monument. BEAUTIFUL!

What other cities will you be visiting in Alaska? You should definetly try King Salmon fishing, they are finally starting to come in now.

• 2Cities1Love's Profile Photo

by 2Cities1Love Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 4:12 AM

We are doing a city duck tour......costing us40USD each through our cruise company....could save5-10 booking independently but being first time cruisers we feel safer this way.

Also, we are doing the Misty Fjords Floatplane trip and have again booked through the cruise comapny.

Cheers
    Col & Sue

• USanFrancisco's Profile Photo

by USanFrancisco Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 10:55 AM

The float plane trip is a great idea!

• Re: A bit of help

by inmaculada31 Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 2:55 PM

Thanks. Do you know any web page for the float plane tour?

• 2Cities1Love's Profile Photo

by 2Cities1Love Online Now Jun 22, 2008 at 3:12 PM

• Re: A bit of help

by inmaculada31 Online Now Jun 23, 2008 at 12:08 PM

Hi everyone,

Just one more question, what clothes do you think I should take to Alaska for one week in July? I have to pack for about a month, and first I´ll be in the States, but I think I can´t use the same clothes. Any idea what to pack?

• RickinDutch's Profile Photo

by RickinDutch Online Now Jun 23, 2008 at 1:44 PM

After living here for 30 years, I've learned to expect any kind of weather any time of the year. Rain, sun, wind, calm. Temps range from 45 to 75F.
    Last night it was 39 here in Kodiak and raining (unusally cold) and today at noon it is almost 60 and sunny. You just never know.
    Layering up is the best way to dress. That way you can peel off and back on as things change.
    -Water and wind proof outer layer (Gortex?).
    -A vest of some sort. (Down in winter and fleece in summer) .
    -Avoid white clothes - everyone will know you're a tourist (especially the bears :) and you'll just get dirty.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines