Ketchikan Travel Answers

change location

What to do in Ketchikan in one Day?

by Roliat Online Now Aug 7, 2006 at 2:12 AM

Hi - Hoping someone can help with what is the best thing to do in Ketchikan in one day. My wife and I are going to be visiting in late August / early September off a cruise ship and there are too many excursions to choose from on our itinerary. We are from Australia and are keen to see glaciers, bears, moose, eat salmon, crabs & explore Alaskan heritage & history. Any help from other travellers would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks. Rob & Vicky

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • MFAMILY's Profile Photo

RE: What to do in Ketchikan in one Day?

by MFAMILY Online Now Aug 7, 2006 at 6:04 AM

A day is well enough to see the city sights. Creek Street, a trip to nearby Saxman Village with it´s collection of Totem poles. For the wildlife, you may care to spend the whole time (a good money) on a day-tour to Misty Mountains. Or just fly and land on a 1.5hour floatplane trip: seawindaviation.com/misty.ht...
    Cruise ships don´t allow the kind of freedom ones needs to see the wild we wonder about, but still you may come across the "american flag" eagle, sea otters, humback whales (keep an eye to the sea as you cruise) or the occasional (very occasional) orca (killer whale).
    Anabelle´s is a nice place to eat good salmon or halibut (very tasty white fish).

If you stop by Juneau, I´d do the Glacier Bay Flying trip on a floatplane. It´s expensive for a 2 hour trip, but worth it. I did it with an independent pilot, Butch Laughlin. Check the site http://www.alaskabyair.com/.
    Try to join with another couple to split the cost.
    On the way back he made a search for whales and we saw a whole pod of them from the air. Huge!

Rgds
    Maria

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: What to do in Ketchikan in one Day?

by alicemaude Online Now Aug 8, 2006 at 12:28 AM

Hi there, I will be interested in the answers that you receive as we are doing a cruise southbound from Seward on the 10 Sep on the Veendam, also from OZ, are you just doing the inside passage?

• RE: RE: What to do in Ketchikan in one Day?

by Roliat Online Now Aug 8, 2006 at 1:54 AM

Thank you so much for your reply. We will certainly explore your suggestions and see where we end up. We really appreciate your reply. Sincere thanks. Rob & Vicky

• RE: RE: What to do in Ketchikan in one Day?

by OldBaldGuy Online Now Aug 23, 2006 at 7:27 PM

Take the Eagles and Lighthouse Tour, four hours or so, you get to see lots of eagles (at least we did last July), and you still have time to walk the town...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines