Ketchikan Travel Answers

change location

Ketchikan: Adventure Kart Expeditions

by NOMADPILGRIM Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 12:33 PM

The only post on this activity states it is bad. Has anyone else got any comments? It seems like a great idea for a side trip but with the experience noted as of June 2004 makes me very leery. We would be going on the kart expedition September 2005. Any comments would be appreciated.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • cruisingbug's Profile Photo

RE: Ketchikan: Adventure Kart Expeditions

by cruisingbug Online Now Aug 24, 2005 at 2:47 PM

I did a search for you and only found this review, below. The rest of the people who had booked the trip found it was cancelled - either because of weather or "mechanical problems". Might be a good idea to book a back-up trip just in case.

from cruisecritic Alaska forum:
    #20 July 27th, 2005, 04:53 PM
    sym1966
    Cool Cruiser Join Date: Apr 2005

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Talked to my niece this morning. Did not get the opportunity to speak with her mom on Sunday. Sorry I'm late getting back.

Keep in mind, she is 16, and has a young body (and barrel races) so the bumps wouldn't bother her...! She said she really liked this excursion. Kind of like a trail ride, except with carts. The bus driver kept them entertained on the hour drive and talked about what they were seeing on the way, and the 'scenery was very pretty' - her words. There was a naturalist type guide with them on the boat ride back to Juneau and she enjoyed that, too. I asked if she would go again, and she said she definitely would. Her whole family enjoyed it. Parents in their 40's, two teen daughters.

I didn't go, so I can't recommend one way or another, but I think they felt they got their money's worth. My sons were not happy that we didn't do this after they heard how much my nieces liked it.

Maybe someone will post with a first hand account...?

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • DJStarr's Profile Photo

Ketchikan adventure idea

by DJStarr Online Now Sep 4, 2005 at 5:33 PM

We just got back from Alaska last month. Don't know about the Kart expeditions, but do know one awesome adventurous activity you might like.
    It's on the south end of the road, by Herring Cove, called the Rainforest Adventure. They have a bird estuary and rainforest tour, for the meek and mild traveler. However, new this year, they have a RainForest Canopy adventure at the same location. It was constructed in 2005, and consists of 7 cable Zip lines and three suspension bridges through the Rain Forest canopy. You're fitted with harnesses and cables, and go from treetop to treetop (over 150' in the air). It's really safe, and of course - beautiful and scary! This is the first Zip line in the U.S. I've been told there are others in Costa Rica and Mexico. We had a great adventure! Have fun!
    Cheers,
    DJ Starr

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines