Kempten Travel Answers

change location

Lost traveler

by Awoodward Online Now Mar 18, 2012 at 5:09 PM

Hello, Could someone please tell me is it more economical to rent a car from Munich or Kempten to travel to Wertach? I'm going to be staying in Wertach for two weeks to go hiking and look at the surrounding area. I never have been to Germany before.If I didn't have a car could I still get around via a bus in Wertach to get to trail heads? Any information would be very much appreciated.
I also have a question about a cell phone. Should I buy a trash phone and buy international minutes to call U.S. Where at Munich Airport would I do this? Thank you. AWoodward

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • Beausoleil's Profile Photo

Re: Lost traveler

by Beausoleil Online Now Mar 18, 2012 at 9:49 PM

A car is nice if you are going to use it. If you just want to get someplace to do hiking, it seems a waste of money. I don't know Wertach so can't comment on that. If you can get there by train or bus, it might be easier for you and certainly would be cheaper.

As far as the cell phone, I have a 4G unlocked phone and I just buy a SIM card for it when we get to France (or Germany or wherever). You will need an unlocked 3G or 4G phone. If you have one, just get a 10-euro SIM card, pop it in for the trip and then put your own SIM back in when you leave Germany. You may have to buy some extra time if you use it a lot, but a pay-as-you-go plan is inexpensive. We use Orange and there are Orange stores all over the place, including undoubtedly the Munich airport. There are many other carriers too.

If you don't have a 3G or 4G phone, you can get a cheap phone there and get a pay-as-you-go plan for your time period.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Lost traveler

by K_V_B Online Now Mar 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM

A transit pass for the region will only cost you 25,- euro for 14 days (provided you're staying there). So a car is certainly not going to be more economical. Also I don't think it's practical for hiking. Hiking trails usually start in a village near a public transit stops, and you have the advantage of not having to return to where your car is, but can for example hike from one village to another, and then return by bus or train.
    The Allgäu website has quite a bit of info, but some links aren't working at the moment. I'm sure however that the local tourist office can set you up with a hiking map and a bus/train schedule.

• Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Mar 25, 2012 at 2:13 AM

If you are two weeks in Wertach I suppose you will not only want to hike on the trails that start right there. For example, Tannheimer Tal across the border in Austria is just magnificent and has fantastic hikings trails.

There surely is public transport. But there is not a bus to every trailhead. Having said this, I have just checked buses from Wertach to Zöblen (which is one of the major villages in Tannheimer Tal), and there are buses on rather a regular basis which take about one hour. So well, it is possible.

You would have to plan your hikes in advance and check out where the buses go to.

If you fly in and out of Munich and decide to hire a car, I would surely hire a car in Munich and not in Kempten because the bigger the city the cheaper the cars are in general, and you would already save the money the train/bus trip would take to Wertach.

If you stay in the vicinity I would surely try to get around on public buses. That is a lot cheaper than to hire a car. But well, you know this. The question is if you do only the hikes in the vicinity or venture a bit further out.

As said, there are a lot of buses, and the network in Allgäu is not bad.

Let's say, it is easier to get around by car but it is possible to get around by bus as well.

Say hello from me to Grünten (mountain) ;-)))

• gubbi1's Profile Photo

by gubbi1 Online Now Jun 16, 2012 at 10:10 AM

Have you doe your trip? If you still need help let me know!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines