Kempten Travel Answers

change location

Raw Milk Cheese

by pfb Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 11:01 AM

I am planning a trip to Kempten this April and am interested in visiting raw milk cheese makers in this region. My interest is in artisan cheese making, the way it was done originally prior to big manufacturing plants. Any recommendations?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Turtleshell's Profile Photo

Re: Raw Milk Cheese

by Turtleshell Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 1:46 PM

Perhaps not in Kempten - I don't know - but there is a traditional Käserei (cheese maker) in Oberstaufen, the Bergkäserei Steibis, Im Dorf 12, 87534 Oberstaufen-Steibis, tours: Every Tuesday 10:30am.
    http://www.berg-kaese.de/

I doubt they are fluent in English, though.
    And this is not really a recommendation, but merely a hint where you can tour a Käserei.

You could take the regional train from Kempten to Oberstaufen; takes about 30 minutes (www.bahn.de).

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Jan 18, 2012 at 5:27 PM

dein-allgaeu.de/regionen/reg...
    see at the left column under "Oberallgäu" which lists the small cheese makers in the area. Many but not all will offer what you're looking for. The one listed for Kempten is however no more.
    Another idea would be to ask the Kempten tourist office
    touristinfo(at)kempten.de

• johncworden's Profile Photo

by johncworden Online Now Jan 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I have nothing to contribute to the cheesemaking question, but I just have to say this- Both of you, Turtleshell and Abalada, are a HUGE wealth of info. Is there anything you don't know? Thank you for being on here and sharing your knowledge and experiences.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines