Kelowna Travel Answers

change location

Thinking to move to Kelowna

by Maria777 Online Now Nov 27, 2005 at 7:34 PM

Hello from Winnipeg!!!
My husband and I are thinking to move to Kelowna with our two kids age 15 and 13. We were there this past August and we liked it a lot.Can you tell me which are the good family areas and schools? Is it a good city to raise kids? We also owned a small family restaurant in Winnipeg and we are thinking to open one there too, can you give us general information about the city, because we heard negative things about Kelowna from checking the forums.We would greatly appreciate it if you could give us your honest opinion about the pros and cons. Thank you again.

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Carmanah's Profile Photo

RE: Thinking to move to Kelowna

by Carmanah Online Now Nov 27, 2005 at 8:21 PM

Visiting Kelowna for pleasure, and living there, are two very different things. What was it specifically about Kelowna that you liked? The climate and the geography, or the city values, the neighbourhoods, and the lifestyle? Was it something else?

Generally, Kelowna's known to be a right wing city, quite different from other places in BC. As well, I too have read negative aspects about living there, such the city having big city problems (property crime, drugs), and yet people say it lacks any big city vibe, despite being physically large. These are only paraphrases I've read in the past... however, I've never actually lived there, so I wouldn't really judge the city on these aspects until I actually *have* lived there.

I'd take a hard look at the reasons for wanting to move there first, and compare it to where you currently are. I'd then see if you could track down people who like yourself, have moved from Winnipeg, or elsewhere, to Kelowna, to see if their opinions have changed after moving.

You might also want to post a list of values that you appreciate in a city (any city), such as good public transportation, or a varied restaurant scene, or balanced education opportunities, and see how that would compare to a list of values someone from Kelowna might be able to provide. This would probably be the biggest help to determine whether or not Kelowna would be a good place to move to.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: RE: Thinking to move to Kelowna

by greendoctor Online Now Jan 7, 2006 at 10:32 PM

Hello,
    We don't blame you for falling in love with Kelowna. In fact we moved here in just this past August from Ontario for the same reason.
    We're sure exactly what you've read about Kelowna but we can tell you that they are probably are true.
    We both have 8+ years of post-secondary education & yet all of I've been doing is volunteer work for the CNIB, the Food Bank & Habitat for Humanity.I must add that I'm only with the CNIB now & will explain my reasons for leaving the other two later, if you're interested.
    I have to tell you that, there are literally hundreds of jobs here, anywhere from menial to trades-persons to counseling positions{lots of addicts & halfway house}. The problem is the rate of pay. The pay starts at about8 hour{non-waitressing positions. Much less for them & very little to no tips} to18 hour.
    The latter is so rare that when it posts, people with Masters degrees apply for it.
    With the exception of the developers & real-estate agents that make-up the top %30 of the wealth of the city, no-one else makes a decent living. Even doctors make about10,000 a year less than their colleagues in Ontario.
    There really is very little of the middle-class here{%30}. So that leaves the retirees{almost %50} and the lower-class %40. They make anywhere between8-$14 an hour.
    Allow me to tell you about the housing market. There has been a 50% price increase for the past 4 years. In other wards, if you bought a house here 4 years ago, it has quadrupled by now, with the cheapest house{one that is not a bulldoze-house}starting at300,000.
    So how does anyone afford a house on20-$30K{Gross} a year you ask?
    They either moved here a few to many years ago or are retirees that have built-up substantial wealth.
    There must be a church or some sort of a religious building on absolutely every street. Sometimes I think one for ever parishioner. Kelowna's population is 120,000 & growing daily.
    They mainly vote conservative.
    Restaurants. We have not really found one decent restaurant that we absolutely love & recommend. They generally have poor service{what can you expect for5an hour} & quality & cost on average 25% more than Ontario.
    We are having a house built for us & get this, the builders dictate everything from the color of your siding to your landscaping to your interior wall colors, flooring's & even appliances. You may be paying for it{for the rest of your life}but you definitely are not the boss.
    Please do not hesitate to ask us any questions.
    Dariush

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines