Getting deep into the books/foods/culture of Kazakhstan: 7 Ones
The 7 Ones ...
This is Jeff from Texas. I'm coming to Kazakhstan the first and second weeks of July and one thing I always try to do is get educated on the local scene, the people and the places before arriving: what I call 'the seven ones'. If any of you could give me just one little answer for any or all of the below - your favorites – Kazakhstan.
1. ONE Book... something that has soul or historical pieces.
2. ONE Song... any Kazakhstan artists that I could find on YouTube, iTunes or even buy a CD of off of Amazon otherwise. Also, if there is a particular genre or ethnic type of music that is interesting that would be great.
3. ONE Drink... what the locals and indigenous Kazakhstan peoples drink. I always like to try the local ‘moonshine’ if it is an area where the locals drink alcohol. Something made from grain
4. A Dish... a local, traditional meal or food.
5. A Word/Phrase... a greeting, or something unique to Kazakhstan in general.
6. A bit of news... what is going on in Kazakhstan lately. Local/national items that have been in the news.
7. A little-known place or thing to do... a place off the path where one can get a real feel for the culture (small town, small club in Salvador, good music place, etc)
Any other notes would also be appreciated.
I am compiling the sheet here if anyone is interested in the same thread: