Kauai

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Kauai Suggestions

Kauai Mar 31, 2014 at 12:09 PM

We are going to Kauai in a few weeks. Ideally we would like to stay in a laid back place with a pool on a sandy beach, with surfing nearby. Any suggestions?

more
    • Kauai Suggestions

Kauai Mar 31, 2014 at 12:09 PM

We are going to Kauai in a few weeks. Ideally we would like to stay in a laid back place with a pool on a sandy beach, with surfing nearby. Any suggestions?

5 Answers Apr 12, 2014 at 2:47 AM
    • dnwitte's Profile Photo

Life on Kauai

Kapaa Jan 22, 2014 at 3:20 PM

So, there's a very rare job opening in my profession in a place called Kapa'a. I know nothing about life in a small town in Hawai'i. Anybody care to fill me in on the culture and quality of life in Kapa'a?
      I just reached the end of my tether with winter in New England.

Thanks in advance.

33 Answers Jan 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM
    • sorry about earlier typo

Hanalei Jan 7, 2014 at 5:50 PM

sorry about the typo the store I am trying to find is next to havaiki. that I am trying to find. its on the same side of the street as the store havaiki

3 Answers Jan 7, 2014 at 8:28 PM
    • trying to find a shop

Hanalei Jan 7, 2014 at 5:45 PM

what is the name of a store havaiki. It sells mostly womens clothes and feels like a cabin.

• Place to stay in Hanalei off the beaten path.

Hanalei Dec 7, 2013 at 4:41 AM

Looking for a place to stay (family of 2 adults, 3 kids under 13) near Hanalei, Kauai. We are from a farm in Kansas. Love to hike, swim, snorkel.........rather than shop hang around crowds.

2 Answers Dec 7, 2013 at 9:31 AM
    • North Shore Gym, Running Group, etc

Kauai Nov 3, 2013 at 7:49 PM

Where is best locals place to work out on North Shore Kilauea area? Any organized running group in the area?

1 Answer Nov 6, 2013 at 11:19 AM
    • Stanway's Profile Photo

Kauai recommendations?

Kauai Oct 27, 2013 at 10:01 AM

Going to Kauai for 4 days so will probably only stay at one location. What section of the island should we stay? What are your top three places to visit?

3 Answers Oct 30, 2013 at 8:29 AM
    • Wedding gift

Haena Sep 18, 2013 at 8:20 PM

I am looking for gift ideas for a young couple on their honeymoon? They will stay at Kepuhi Beach in front of Haena Cottage. Maybe gift certificates for a favorite place, local tours or activities, restaurants... They will be there at the end of October. Thanks.

3 Answers Sep 19, 2013 at 1:23 PM
    • VodaH's Profile Photo

snorkeling

Kauai Sep 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

My mom and I are heading to Kauai for a snorkeling trip. We have been all over Jamaica and Costa Rica and really enjoy the cliff and rock snorkeling. Question is when is the best time and place in Kauai. We don't enjoy big cities and would love a small town that is not so commercial. Asking a lot in this question. lol.

4 Answers Sep 3, 2013 at 4:00 PM
    • SalsaDanceForJoy's Profile Photo

Best Time of Year

Kauai Aug 31, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I'm a teacher, so my travel plans have to be within the confines of my school schedule. Which month would be best for a traveler who wants to snorkel (preferably w/o a wetsuit), hike & tour this island: April; June, July, or August; or December?

16 Answers Sep 3, 2013 at 10:41 PM
    • cmillard's Profile Photo

Help with condo choice

Poipu Jul 27, 2013 at 8:06 PM

Looking for a clean, bright, cheerful condo on the ocean in Poipu. Just a one bedroom as my husband and I are going alone for a second honeymoon. Also, any suggestions for a romantic area to renew our vows?

Mahalo,
      Mickey

2 Answers Sep 27, 2013 at 6:45 PM
    • Hotel Help

Kauai Jul 15, 2013 at 10:24 AM

I am traveling to Kauai at the end of July, I have a choice between two hotels and am not sure which is right for my family. I am traveling with my adult children, 21 & 23. We can stay at the Marriott Waioahi in Poipu in a 2 bedroom condo that will most likely face the parking lot or in an Oceanfront hotel room at The Kauai Beach Resort. I have heard that the Marriott is geared more towards young famiiies and will have a lot of kids running around, it is on Poipu beach but it is packed this time of year and it will look over a parking lot. But it is a 2 bed condo which is a plus. The Kauai Beach resort in Lihue has an oceanfront room with 2 beds and a roll away and seems a bit more for adults. I really like the view. Anyone know these 2 properties and could get a recommedation for a stay this time of year would be appreciated.

5 Answers Jul 17, 2013 at 9:47 AM
    • Kauai specific questions

Kauai Mar 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

Hello,

We will be returning to Kauai for a 5 day trip. We went 2 years ago and stayed 4 days, we didn't know much about the island at that time and are searching to plan our next trip better.

On the first visit, we stayed in a hotel in Kapaa, we liked the area, being kind of central.

On this visit, we are looking at condos (we will be 4), we have spotted some at Princeville, at first view it seems kind of far from Poipu and the Canyon... what do you guys think?

To help you out, here's a list of things we are looking forward to do during our 5 day trip.

- Waimea Canyon + hang out at Poipu beaches/area,
      - Kalalau trail
      - Kayak to Secret Falls
      - Snorkelling
      - Queen's bath
      - Hang out at beaches

We did visit Kauai once and know our way around it, but are not so aware of the special places.

So here are my specific questions :

- Does the east/north (somewhat max 30 minutes from Princeville) of Kauai offer a good enough variety of beaches and snorkelling to cover 2-3 days, so that we do not have to run around the island for those activities?

- Is there any special places that you would suggest (beaches, treks, waterfalls, activities) ?

- Would Kauai be a nice place to learn to surf (similar to Waikiki), and if yes, where at?

- Does Waimea Canyon offer treks that are spectacular? (In my opinion, simply looking at the Canyon from the observation areas is spectacular), are we missing out by just looking at it without walking right into it?

- So Helicopter rides leave from the airport? Are you aware if you must book in advance, or are you able to get in just a few days prior?

- Golf, how good is Kauai for golf? Any specific courses to recommand? I know golfing in Hawaii can be expensive, let's say something in the range of 40$ - 90$ for the round (not sure what those prices get you..)

Thanks all,

3 Answers Jun 18, 2013 at 7:54 PM
    • What is the name of the beach, where is it? On Kauai or Maui?

Kauai Mar 13, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Years ago (1998) I was on Kauai and Maui. Now that I look on my photos, I do not remember where the beach on the photo was.
      Here is the link to my uploaded photos: members.virtualtourist.com/p...

Does anyone know?

8 Answers Mar 22, 2013 at 1:44 PM
    • 1 month rental for less than $2500?

Kauai Feb 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Is it possible to rent a nice 2/3 bedroom house with privacy, nice views (sea or nature), and idyllic setting for a month for $2750 or less on the Western part of the Island?

The dates could be in January or in the spring / autumn. Thank you.

3 Answers Mar 27, 2013 at 8:30 AM
    • VA_Dave's Profile Photo

Alakai Swamp birding?

Kauai Oct 16, 2012 at 4:46 PM

We will be on Kauai around Christmas and we would like to do some hiking and birding. Any tips about the Alakai Swamp trail? How is the Koke’e Lodge? Other suggestions? TIA.

1 Answer Oct 17, 2012 at 4:21 PM
    • B&B or 1 bedroom

Kauai Sep 7, 2012 at 8:43 AM

Hi! We are going to be on Kauai for 7-10 days in November and are looking for B&B or 1 bedroom lodging.Looking for a few days on the south and a few on the north or east. Also, any favorite eating places?
      Thanks for your help!

5 Answers Jan 23, 2013 at 5:49 PM
    • martine05's Profile Photo

Has Anyone Used Perfect Escapes for reservations in Kauai?

Kauai Aug 8, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I am doing research for a trip to Kauai in September. Has anyone used the company/website Perfect Escapes for reservations? I haven't been able to find reviews on a Google search so thought I would check in here. Thank you in advance for any comments!

• Hard Hikes on Kauai

Kauai Jun 29, 2012 at 11:53 AM

Me and my wife are heading out there end of September and were looking for some fun hikes. We hike the 14ers here in colorado and we also rock climb as well. We want a couple of hikes that no offense the lazy out of shape tourists won't waddle there way on. Maybe hook up with a local to takes us on an adventure. Were staying in Princeville and it looks like there are some decent trails. The 11 mile hike we saw looks like a fun day trip. Long but well worth it! Any help from locals would be awesome!

Thanks!

3 Answers Jul 5, 2012 at 3:25 PM
    • Want an off-the-beaten-path Kauai experience

Kauai Feb 16, 2012 at 8:57 AM

My family is traveling to Kauai in August (9 adults) and I'm trying to organize some activities for all of us to do together that don't have that "commercialized" feel. I've never been, and I really want to see the island as the natives get to see it, and use the outfitters that natives would recommend. The more adventurous the activity, the better! Does anyone have any recommendations or contacts on Kauai?

1 Answer Feb 16, 2012 at 1:46 PM
    • kellinwood's Profile Photo

Best local food joints in Kauai?

Kauai Nov 3, 2011 at 2:29 PM

My wife and I leave tomorrow for a 7 night stay in the Lihue area of Kauai. We've booked a rental car and will be touring the island as much as possible. I'm specifically looking for the not-to-be-missed local/casual eating establishments on the island. We aren't really into fine dining that much, unless its A+ seafood. I'll be checking for responses here throughout our trip. Thanks,

Ken

4 Answers Nov 6, 2011 at 1:46 AM
    • daviage1's Profile Photo

Having a vacation on Maui and a week on Kauai,Hawaii.

Kauai Oct 23, 2011 at 6:25 PM

I would like to know if there is any group's going to Kauai or Maui

between January 27th thru Feb. 9th? Usually have to go alone, this time

with a small group so far, any other? Group's are fun! Alone isn't !

One's that have already been there ! Thing to do!

Thank's daviage1

• CruisingGoddess's Profile Photo

Restaurant for dinner

Kauai Sep 1, 2011 at 7:08 PM

I'm trying to decide between these restaurants for a nice sit-down dinner.

Eastside
      Hukilau Lanai
      22 North

Any recommendations for one over the others?

Thanks in advance!

6 Answers Sep 6, 2011 at 11:42 AM
    • Questions for upcoming Kauai trip

Kauai Jun 13, 2011 at 7:25 PM

I'd like some info on a Hawaiian trip my family is planning. Unfortunately, the only time that we all have available is exactly when I normally would NOT want to go...around Christmas.

Travelers include myself, my wife, and teenage son. I have tentatively planned for a 2 week trip, Dec. 19th departure and a Jan. 1st return.

Kauai is my favorite island, we'll be there for most of the time, but we'd like to see one other island as well. I'm leaning toward the Big Island, as we are really interested in geology, and the combination of black sand beaches and lava flows sounded interesting, but I'm open to suggestions.

Here's what we like: Wildlife, geology, hiking, beautiful scenery in general, photography, waterfalls, seeing any "real" Hawaii that we can.
      Here's what we're not really into: Overly-touristy spots, "nightlife", big cities, resorts, etc.

We'll be staying at small rental shacks/houses as opposed to fancy hotels.

We'll be flying out of NE Nevada, so maybe from Vegas or Portland, Oregon since we have family there. I have 110,000 Hawaiian Airline miles, so that will help a bit with tickets.
      We'll be renting a car while there.

Questions:

1) I can tweak our dates a bit, but not by much. As the dates stand, we're leaving on a Monday, and flying back on a Sunday. Are there better days for departures/arrivals?

2) Flight options are either mainland - Kauai - Big Island - back to Kauai - mainland, or mainland - Kauai - Big Island - mainland. I'm still investigating prices, but there may be something I haven't considered about routes.

3) Let me know if you think there's an island besides the Big Island that would be a better choice for island #2.

Thanks!!

3 Answers Jun 17, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    • Will ocean be effected in June....

Kauai Mar 15, 2011 at 4:27 PM

We went to Poipu last year, mid-late June, and the ocean was too stirred up from winter to snorkel. The last two days it cleared enough that they gave an 'all clear'.

I'm wondering if that may be even more of an issue this year in light of the tsumani in Japan. We're hoping to go back to Poipu this year, same approx. dates, but want to be sure snorkeling will be 'open' at Poipu.

Has anyone heard if there will be long lasting effects on the Hawaii beaches?

4 Answers Apr 19, 2011 at 12:16 PM
    • nawillwili helicoptor tours

Nawiliwili Dec 26, 2010 at 6:34 AM

Any suggestions for a helicoptor tour ---getting off queen victoria in feb 2011--thanks

5 Answers Dec 27, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    • flapperfanny's Profile Photo

Airfare to Kauai

Kauai Dec 8, 2010 at 6:47 PM

I plan on traveling to Kauai for 10 days in August. What is a reasonable airfare from the East Coast of United States to Kauai...any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you.

12 Answers Jan 28, 2011 at 6:23 PM
    • Coco B&B west Kauai

Kauai Nov 9, 2010 at 10:03 AM

Myself and my fiance are planning to go to Kauai as part of our honeymoon and plan to spend some time visiting the Canyon and Koke Park.

We have been looking at the Coco B&B which is about 4 miles east of Waimea, adn looks great and reasonably priced. However, we can find no reviews of the property for piece of mind.

Has anyone stayed at this place or got anything to add?

Thanks

3 Answers Nov 17, 2010 at 4:48 PM
    • Getting to Poipu Beach from Cruise Ship Terminal

Kauai Oct 27, 2010 at 4:09 PM

Can anyone offer any suggestions for getting form the Cruise Ship terminal at Nawiliwili Harbor. Are there suttles to the hotels in the South end that we could take. Does anyone know what a taxi would cost?

2 Answers Oct 28, 2010 at 1:40 AM
    • What is the waimea canyon road like?

Kauai Oct 11, 2010 at 4:56 PM

We would like to drive all the way to pu'u 0 Kila lookout to do some hiking. What is Waimea Canyon Drive like, particularly at the end past the 18 mile marker? Is it paved all the way to the end? Is it a narrow two lane road? Does it climb steeply?

2 Answers Oct 12, 2010 at 1:37 AM