Kathmandu Travel Answers

change location
Perucha's Profile Photo

Is it cheaper to buy Flight Tickets from Kathmandu?

by Perucha Online Now Aug 22, 2009 at 1:09 PM

Dear all,

My friend and I (Indonesians) are planning to travel overland from Beijing to Kathmandu in Oct 2009, then we will depart as I'm going to Delhi and my friend is going back to Jakarta. The problem is both of us can't find cheap flight tickets online. KTM-Singapore the cheapest is USD 500 one way. And KTM-Delhi the cheapest is USD 200 one way.

My questions:
- are those prices normal?
- is it cheaper to buy the tickets when we arrive to Kathmandu? (we have 3 days to spend there)
- do you know how much are the prices?
- any recommended travel agents to buy flight tickets in Kathmandu?

Thank you very much! Your answer is much appreciated.

/Perucha

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • GrumpyDiver's Profile Photo

Re: Is it cheaper to buy Flight Tickets from Kathmandu?

by GrumpyDiver Online Now Aug 22, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Buying airline tickets at the last minute (i.e. within a week or so of the trip) is the most expensive way of doing so. You will pay full fare. In general, the earlier you buy the ticket, the greater the discount opportunity.

That being said, popular destinations with significant competition on the route will have the most attractive prices. Tickets to out of the way places will have minimal discounts, if any at all.

I can't comment on the specific routings you are looking at, but I suspect there is little or no competition on the Kathmandu routes.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • earthflyer's Profile Photo

by earthflyer Online Now Aug 23, 2009 at 1:58 AM

Getting to and from Kathmandu by air is not cheap. The fare between KTM-Singapore looks about right. but the fare from Kathmandu to Delhi looks alittle expensive. There are many travel agents in Kathmandu that can help you find a flight to Delhi but not sure if they be any cheaper than online.

If no luck then go with those fares otherwise it's a 2-3 day trip overland to Delhi by bus and I would pay for the flight and be there in 1 hour plus you get the added bonus of the seeing the Himalayas from air but sit on the right side of the plane.

• TheView's Profile Photo

by TheView Online Now Aug 23, 2009 at 5:00 AM

You might try to look at the individual airlines web pages like Goair, kingfisher. Assuming you tried search engines like skyscanner.com.

• Re: Is it cheaper to buy Flight Tickets from Kathmandu?

by adventuresnepal Online Now Aug 23, 2009 at 6:04 AM

Well, the program what you are willing to do looks very interestiong. All the very best for that.

The airfare for Kathmandu - Singapore looks normal but the cost for KTM - DEL looks high. You can have your flight tickets for this sector for US 143 to166 and airport tax is included on it.

There are many of travel agents who can provide you KTM-DEL flight tickets for this cost.

Hope following information will be helpful to you.

• adx's Profile Photo

by adx Online Now Sep 15, 2009 at 6:05 AM

Hi,
    I am from Delhi itself and visiting kathmandu in first week of october (2 to 5 oct) and then back to delhi. I got return ticket for 14000 INR (around 280 USD). One way it should be around 150 USD. Its better u book on line on makemytrip.com . U will find comparision out there.Airlines are Nepal Royal, Kingfisher, Indian (Air India) etc. In case u need any advise about Delhi, write back. Welcome to Delhi.
    adx

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines