Kathmandu Travel Answers

change location

Travel partner Annapurna trek May

by yvetteke Online Now Apr 19, 2009 at 9:28 PM

I'm a Dutch traveler (28) heading to Kathmandu around the 28th of April. I want to start the Annapurna trek in the first week of May and hoping to find pleasant companionship. I'm in good shape but have never done such a big trek.
I'd like to take it slow -not that I'm a slow walker - but enjoy the beautiful scenery and great people. It's not a expedition but all about having a great time and going with the flow, see what comes on your path and not having a fixed schedule.
Therefor a tracking group doesn't seem to be my style. Any advice on what the best way is to get in contact with fellow hikers in Kathmandu? Can I still expect enough people on the trek in May? Any other tips I ought to be aware of for tracking around this time of the year?

Question on the side.. I have very comfertable hiking shoes but they are not water proof. Any experience or recommendations?

I'm getting very excited as everybody is raving about Nepal.
Wish you all good travels.
Yvette

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • into-thin-air's Profile Photo

Re: Travel partner Annapurna trek May

by into-thin-air Online Now May 1, 2009 at 8:17 AM

Hi Yvette
    As you are probably aware the end of April / Beginning of May is the tail end of the Spring Trekking Season, But having said that there should still be a fair amount of trekkers around.
    To find Trek-Mates my best advice would be to head fro the Garden Restaurant at Pilgrims Guesthouse in North Thamel and take lunch or dinner or just pop in in the evening for a beer, (I wouldn’t choose to stay here however as I think the rooms are a bit overpriced for what they are) – I have often found like minded people there.
    With your walking shoes, Ideally you should get a pair of waterproof lightweight boots (Gortex type) and a pair of gaiters as there is a high probability of you getting at least some rain in the afternoons given the time of year that you are trekking in.
    For more details on what I have suggested browse the tip sections of my Nepal Page.

I hope that helps a little but If you need more info then feel free to drop me another line
    Good Luck and Happy Travels
    Rob

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines