Kassel Travel Answers

change location
McCoq's Profile Photo

Cheapest way to get to Kassel

by McCoq Online Now Jul 15, 2007 at 2:24 AM

Hey, i'll be in Frankfurt for few days, and then i would like to go to Kassel. What's the cheapest way to get there from Frankfurt? Train, bus? Or are there other options? Thanks.

David

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • RhineRoll's Profile Photo

Re: Cheapest way to get to Kassel

by RhineRoll Online Now Jul 15, 2007 at 2:39 AM

There is a very fast ICE high speed train connection. You can save some money by looking for cheap offers on the bahn website. There are also regular IC (intercity) trains that even are a bit cheaper. If you get one through Gießen and Marburg, the trip is pretty scenic too. ICE train uses a different specially built track with lots of tunnels.

www.bahn.de

There might be a bus connection, but I would not recommend it. Taking the train is by far the best option. ICE travelling time is about 1 hour for 200 km, that is unbeatable. Kassel has 2 railway stations. Kassel Central Station Hbf is located in the inner city, good for the main documenta sites there. Kassel Wilhelmshöhe is a newer station that was built with the new ICE high speed track. For all locations within Kassel you can use both stations indeed, there are trams connecting Wilhelmshöhe with the rest of the city. Wilhelmshöhe is the nicest part of town high above the city with a great castle and one of Europe's best mountain parks.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Wiley_Coyote's Profile Photo

by Wiley_Coyote Online Now Jul 15, 2007 at 4:18 AM

was just there last week...i think it was 50 euros for the ICE high speed train (runs just about every hour or so)...and the slowpoke local train that takes 2 hours is 28 euros. if there's more than one of you going, it's probably cheapest to go on the slow train and getting a 'land hessen' ticket. basically you get charged the same regardless of the number of passengers (up to 5 that is). it usually costs about 25 to 30 euros.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Jul 15, 2007 at 4:46 AM

If you can't a special on the ICE, the Hessenticket is the cheapest. Good on all local trains - not ICE,IC -, after 9 am for the whole day, for 1 to 5 people. 29 Euro.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Jul 15, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Cheapest way is the already mentioned Hessen-Ticket.

DB timetable
    reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...
    To: Kassel Hbf
    and select as means of transport "only local transport".

Validity:
    Mo-Fr 9am till 3am next day
    Sa,So midnight till 3am next day

The Hessen-Ticket covers not only the local trains in the state Hessen, but also all other local public transport, e.g. trams and buses in Frankfurt and Kassel.

• RhineRoll's Profile Photo

by RhineRoll Online Now Jul 15, 2007 at 10:48 AM

Really just little over 2 hours for the Regional Express (RE). That is still a very good performance. By car, at normal daytime hours, it will take at least 3 hours to go from downtown to downtown.

• McCoq's Profile Photo

by McCoq Online Now Jul 28, 2007 at 9:00 AM

Thanks to all of you. Now I know a little bit better what i'll do. Thanks for the information

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines