Karlovy Vary Travel Answers

change location
beebee9's Profile Photo

Things to do in Karlovy Vary

by beebee9 Online Now Jul 28, 2011 at 7:56 PM

We are a young couple and traveling to Prague, wanted a nice 2-3 day getaway for some relaxation towards the end of the trip. Is Karlovy Vary more of an older couple type of a place, or would we enjoy it as well. Is there any kind of nitelife at all (not clubs, but somewhere to hang out at)? Suggestions for a nice pamper spa would be great, as well as restaurants and any kind of nitelife. Thank you!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

Re: Things to do in Karlovy Vary

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jul 28, 2011 at 11:13 PM

Hi
    Based on my week in Karlovy Vary, I would say that it's distinctly middle aged, with a good range of restaurants - there are quite a lot of larger hotels, so there may be some night life associated with that (I was at a conference, so we had our own evening events arranged). However, this is often a characteristic of spa towns in general - not just Karlovy Vary.
    I like the prospect of spa towns because of their history and architecture, but when I get there, I am reminded of the fact that much of their clientele comprises grumpy sick people in cruisewear!
    If I were visiting that region, I'd head for Loket instead, which is a very attractive and historic town abotu half an hour from Karlovy Vary. As I recall, it has some spas as well, but again, I would imagine that the nightlife would revolve around restaurants.
    Regards
    Cathy

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • dustmon's Profile Photo

by dustmon Online Now Jul 29, 2011 at 4:05 AM

I recommend the Lazne Spa---The oldest in Karlovy Vary----swim, sauna and steam---massage, too.

• beebee9's Profile Photo

by beebee9 Online Now Jul 29, 2011 at 2:17 PM

Thanks so much for your reply, it was exactly what i was looking for. We are staying in Prague and have a few extra days that I wanted to use to do either some day trips or to stay at a town where we can relax as we'll be at the end of our trip at that point. ANything you can recomend, close to Prague, no more than 2 hours, that we could enjoy?

• CatherineReichardt's Profile Photo

by CatherineReichardt Online Now Jul 29, 2011 at 11:32 PM

Hi
    Thanks for your kind comment!
    The rail system in the Czech republic is pretty good, so you can get most places in a couple of hours (just be warned that there is more than one rail station, so make sure you know whichj one goes where!)
    Well, the obvious 'suspect' is Kutna Hora, which is an easy day out from Prague. The Basilica of St Barbara is mindblowing, as is the Sedlac ossuary, and it's a nice place to wander around.
    Most tourists are blown away by beautiful Cesky Krumlov, but as I've never been, I can't comment. The only thing I know if that it gets heaps of visitors, so particularly if you're visiting in the summer, this might be an issue for you. The same goes for Cesky Budovice, but to a lesser degree.
    My personal favourite is Olomouc, which is a couple of hours by train towards the Polish border. It is a university town that is inexplicably overlooked by tourists, and I found it a wonderful counterpoint to bustling Prague. It is a very historic place (isn't everywhere in the Czech Republic?) and having a large student population, would probably have a fairly lively nightlife. That would be my personal choice, but only you know what you like.
    Have a look on my Prague, Kutna Hora and Olomouc pages for some ideas, and then browse pages by other VTers on the other possibilities. And please feel free to revert if you have any other queries!
    Regards
    Cathy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Karlovy Vary