Travel Answers
Karaganda

change location

Did you mean?

Try your search again
    Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Be the First to Answer

• Spending a month this summer in Almaty, would appreciate some information:

Almaty Apr 8, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Greetings;

I will be in Almaty for a month (mid-July to mid-August), teaching at KIMEP. I have several questions:

1) Is there a possibility of finding (buying) an inexpensive basic bicycle for transportation?

2) Is there an English-language book exchange in the area (so I don't have to too many paperbacks)?

3) I don't know if the University has a swimming pool I can use, but if not, can anyone tell me the cost for a one-month membership / pass to use the Central Swimming Pool, or as alternative the CK Rakhat Fitness?

4) I see several tennis courts; is tennis popular? Might I be able to find some doubles play?

5) Looking at Lonely Planet (which seems to have the most complete description), it appears that the public transit system is meager. Will it be of much use to me from the area where KIMEP is located?

6) Other than "pubs" or drinking, what are the evening / weekend social activities?

Thanks in advance!

DrE

more
    • Sevsa's Profile Photo

left luggage

Almaty Mar 23, 2015 at 5:15 AM

My wife and I will have a very long layover in Almaty when flying to Urumqi and we would like to go into the city and have a look around. However since we are flying on different airlines we will have our packs with us and after looking at the airport website it seems there is no left luggage area there. Is there someplace in the city that we can leave luggage during the day such as in the railroad station?

more
    • need help to find my dad in karaganda

by anna777 Online Now Jan 26, 2006 at 6:17 AM

is there anybody out there who lives in karaganda that could help me find my dad (Gennady Mikhailovich Zaitsev/Zorikov) he was living in Karaganda in 1989 thats when i left with my mother for Australia and have been here ever since. I have not seen my dad for 16 years and would realy love to find him , i use to live at prospect Abdirov karaganda if anyone need any more info please get back to me Thank you Anna

• gnunez311's Profile Photo

Traveling citizens of Kazakhstan

by gnunez311 Online Now May 14, 2003 at 12:01 PM

Are citizens of Kazakhstan actually allowed to enter any country besides Kazakhstan without a tourist visa? If you know of any countries were a Kazakh (or Russian from Kazahkstan) can go for vacation without a tourist visa, please let me know. Thanks!

2 Answers Feb 16, 2004 at 2:35 PM