Karachi Travel Answers

change location
Mittnic's Profile Photo

Carpets in Karachi

by Mittnic Online Now Oct 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM

I want to buy a high quality carpet as a gift to my parents and wonder if I should do it during a stop over in Karachi. I'm looking for a dark red Afghan style carpet in the size of 6-10 m2.

Is it reasonable to expect to by one for about usd 60 per m2. My wife is Turkish and very gifted in bargaining but it might be unlikely anyway.

Any input would be much appreciated!

/Johannes

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • besal's Profile Photo

Re: Carpets in Karachi

by besal Online Now Oct 10, 2009 at 7:30 PM

I beleive that this a reasonable estimate (approx Rs. 5000/sq.m), but do make sure that you negotiate heavily. Some good reputable carpet dealers are located near the old metrople hotel, with small shops in Zainab Market. One of the largest dealer has some shops at Sheraton Hotel Afghan Carpets)and their main warehouse is about 10 minutes drive from this hotal.

Their contact numbers for warehouse is 3583 6561-3537 6220. Address D/16 Block 8; Ch. Khaliq uz Zaman Road. To contact their shops at Sheraton, call the hotel number which is 3563 3333.

Small dealers may not have the variety to choose from.

As mentioned earlier negotiate. If you know anyone locally, take them along with you.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • orangetree28's Profile Photo

by orangetree28 Online Now Oct 11, 2009 at 1:41 AM

thanks for your quick and informative reply.
    First we intended to only buy carpet
    but we read you tips last Friday,
    hope we can organize a Vt meeting
    we will be glad to meet you and other friends in Karachi
    Kindly regards
    elcin

• Mozumbus's Profile Photo

by Mozumbus Online Now Oct 12, 2009 at 4:22 AM

Welcome to Karachi Johaness.

You may like to visit Afghan Carpet:
    Address: D/16, Block-8, Clifton.
    Phone: 35836561, 35869895, 35376220

Though I have not visited the shop but it is definitely an authentic place with high end carpets. One of my colleagues know someone overthere, let me know if you need any assitance (price negotiation) after you visit the shop.

@ orangetree28 (Pinar Elcin): your VT meeting idea is great, count me in...

• besal's Profile Photo

by besal Online Now Oct 13, 2009 at 10:27 AM

Hi Elcin
    Glad you enjoyed the tips on Karachi. Do let me know what your plans are and will see if this VT meet is doable. I guess this could be the first VT meet in Karachi?

• Bokhari76's Profile Photo

by Bokhari76 Online Now Oct 13, 2009 at 8:07 PM

Glad to hear about the VT meet. Amir (Basel) is right about purchasing carpets. Afghan Carpets' showroom address/contact would be helpful. Location is near old race course, opp. to Delhi coloney. Of course they have variety but they are expensive too. I have seen two Curtain shops on main Shara-e-Faisal who aslo sell Carpets. They are offering Discount Sale these days. These shops are on Corner of Sindhi Muslim Society TURN & Nursery TURN when we go from Metropole towards Airport. One of them is CURTAIN CORNER. I've forget other's name.

I was wondering how will you take it abroad. Would you ship it or carry in luggage. I think in case of carrying in luggage air line will charge too much because carpets are heavy items.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines