Kapaa Travel Answers

change location

Dining

by ljm3 Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 2:19 AM

Hi!!First time travelling to Kauai and looking for a great place to eat when i get there. I'm a Chef from Australia and would love some ideas where its the best dining maybe take some interesting recipes back with me. Also any ideas for shopping around in Kauai. Any info would be much appreciated.

Quote & Answer
11 Answers
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

Re: Dining

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 7:11 AM

I haven't been for a few years but, the restaurant at The Priceville Hotel had some great food. It may be similar to any high end restaurant in Australia though.
    My personl favorite meal was at the Ono Family Restaurant in Kapaa. I had a Beefalo Burger. may be something unique in OZ.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 12:45 PM

Aloha. My favorite place to eat, as well as 1,000's more, is The Beachouse in Koloa, Poipu. Their website is : www.the-beach-house.com
    Another top favorite is Gaylord's at Kilohana plantation in Lihue. Website:www.gaylordskauai.com.
    Both are great places to eat as well as great ambience.

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 8:14 PM

That is why Larry has his name and I am his student.

• laforstraveller's Profile Photo

by laforstraveller Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 8:48 PM

Bali Hai has wonderful seafood, steaks, etc. It's located on Hanalei Bay on the North Shore. Can't beat the views. Duke's Canoe Club at the Marriott on Kalapaki Bay also serves seafood, steaks and the like. My pork chops were okay, but my husband still raves about the ahi tuna. Hanama'ulu Tea House on the East Shore in Hanama'ulu serves excellent Japanese food--ask to sit in the garden. Their teriyaki sauce is to die for! The King and I, and Mema Thai Cuisine, both in Kapa'a are both excellent choices for Thai food. At Mema's, try the green curry. Yum! Coconuts, in Kapa'a, serves seafood, steaks, and pasta. This is one of my husband's favorites for fresh seafood.

For breakfast, go to Ono Family Restaurant. Their service can sometimes be lacking, but their tropical stack is excellent. Don't forget to order the fresh papaya and pineapple. Another good place for breakfast is Eggberts--solely for their banana stack. My husband liked their omelettes, but they're known for the banana pancakes.

I've been to the island 3 times for a total of 5 weeks--these are the restaurants that have kept me coming back for repeat visits.

When you say shopping, what are you looking for? Art? Clothing? Jewelry?

If you have some time on Oahu, eat at Aarons in Honolulu. They had the best d*mn pork chop I've ever eaten! I'm not a fan of seafood, but even their blackend ahi left me wanting more.

• Re: Dining

by ljm3 Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 11:19 PM

WOW thanks guys for those replies, didnt expect any replies so soon!!
    I have all you have suggested copied and will check them out. As for shopping I'm interested in clothing (typical female!) jewellery and accessories but mainly thats been made in Hawaii it self than imports which i may get here back home.
    Thanks again

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 11:41 PM

LOL, don't push it. I can't help

by ljm3 Online Now Sep 7, 2007 at 11:53 PM

What!!!! you dont wear dresses???? :S

by YVRDave Online Now Sep 8, 2007 at 12:20 AM

Ha ha, only undresses

• laforstraveller's Profile Photo

by laforstraveller Online Now Sep 8, 2007 at 1:08 PM

Definitely check out Coconut Marketplace in Kapa'a. There are several boutique shops selling jewelry, traditional hawaiian clothing, etc. If you're looking for quality t-shirts for gifts (or for yourself), definitely check out Crazy Shirt. They have a store at the Coconut Marketplace and you can get a catalog sent to your home. They have shirts dyed in Kona coffee, red dirt, money, wine, and various other things. They have mens, womens, and childrens clothing, including shorts and skirts.

On the North shore, there are several upscale boutiques, worth visiting if you have the money. Theres the Kong Lung shopping center in Kilauea, the Hanalei Dolphin Center, and the Princeville Shopping Center. All along Hwy 56 and 560 along the North shore, you'll find small jewelry and clothing shops.

On the East shore, you have the Coconut Marketplace, downtown Kapa'a has some cute shops, and Kauai Village Shopping Center which has a couple of jewelry shops. There are also several cute shops around the Kauai Marriott.

I've not done any shopping on the South shore, so I would not know what to recommend. More than likely there's plenty of shopping in Poipu.

by Jade3 Online Now Sep 12, 2007 at 2:49 AM

Thanks again so much for all that info, Ill check those out for sure.

• poipugirl's Profile Photo

by poipugirl Online Now Nov 27, 2007 at 7:14 PM

Aloha from Kaua'i!

Just as a quick note -- "Bali Hai" restaurant is now closed at HBR -- indefinitely -- the "Happy Talk" lounge is open however and has live Hawaiian music.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines