Kapaa Travel Answers

change location

Kapa'a, Kauai

by LSDodt Online Now Jan 31, 2005 at 2:33 PM

My wife and I are staying at he Royal Hawaii Condos in Kapa'a, Kauai, mid February. Which is the better of the two luaus The Smith's or the Hawaiian Coconut Beach Resort? If you can compare them. We like to swim by day, drive and lie around on a (shaded?) beach. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Horsebackriding would be cool to. Authentic/good restaurants for breakfast lunch and dinner? What's the best grocery store for the best fish and meats? Any other suggestions? Thank you so much, Dave

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • goshawk301's Profile Photo

Re: Kapa'a, Kauai

by goshawk301 Online Now Jan 31, 2005 at 8:30 PM

For breakfast, Eggbert's in Coconut Marketplace south of Kapa'a is convenient and reasonable in price. I did my groceries at Foodland in Waipouli, also south of Kapa'a, when I was staying there last February.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Kapa'a, Kauai

by LSDodt Online Now Feb 1, 2005 at 7:36 AM

Sounds wonderful, I'll start reading about it! Thanks for your time, Dave

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Feb 1, 2005 at 11:19 PM

Aloha, I have been to the Kauai Coconut Beach Resorts Luau and found it to be very good, as far as luau's go. Most of them are tourist productions but go to at least one to say you have been Don't know about Smith's Luau. I liked the almost deserted beach north of Kapaa at Kealia. Nice 1/2 mile long crescent shaped sand beach. Aloha Diner in Kapaa has real Hawaiian food and good portions. Try Ono's for great burgers. More upscale dinner at the Hukilau Lanai at the Kauai Coast Resort. Foodland was mentioned but even the Safeway is good. There is also a Cost U Less in Kapaa. Aloha Oe.

• cyndyj1's Profile Photo

by cyndyj1 Online Now Feb 6, 2005 at 7:16 PM

I lived on Kauai for years but left there in 1996 and haven't been back yet. SO, back then, the main difference between the two: Smith's was more of a big production number and was Polynesian (representing lots of islands and slightly different cultures). The Coconut Beach Resort's was smaller in scale and purely Hawaiian. So it kind of depends on which kind of experience you think you would enjoy most. See my Kauai tips for my favorite restaurants. Aloha nui loa, Cyndy

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines