Kansas City Travel Answers

change location
NelsonMa's Profile Photo

Tips for a mid-July visit to KCMO

by NelsonMa Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:33 PM

Our family of four (Mom, Dad, 18 and 15 yr old boys) has traveled over the years to baseball destinations. We're looking at the July 19-21 weekend to see the Tigers/Royals in Kansas City. Looking for suggestions on where to stay, things to do for a few days in KC.

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • riorich55's Profile Photo

Re: Tips for a mid-July visit to KCMO

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 5:43 PM

A couple of ideas for you. Country Club Plaza for some good restaurants and shopping and just generally walking around. Make sure you try out several different BBQ restaurants. Take a tour of the Hallmark Card HQ. Lots of fountains to see.

I've stayed in the KC area on business usually in any number of Marriott facilities around town.

You won't believe how humid it gets in KC during the summer. Be prepared!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:18 PM

Yep...hot and humid...check out downtown power and light district. The Nelson museum is excellent on a national and international scale. Do not miss jack stack BBQ. Try the burnt ends.

• DueSer's Profile Photo

by DueSer Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:31 PM

If you're a fan of baseball, you should definitely go see the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Excellent museum, lots of terrific memorabilia.

1 member found this helpful

• riorich55's Profile Photo

by riorich55 Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 6:33 PM

DueSer wrote:
    If you're a fan of baseball, you should definitely go see the Negro Leagues Baseball Museum. Excellent museum, lots of terrific memorabilia.

That's a great idea.  I haven't made it there, but it sounds like a great place to visit for baseball fans! 

• yooperprof's Profile Photo

by yooperprof Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:00 PM

Worlds of Fun/Oceans of Fun are the big area amusement parks, just off I-435 north of the river on the Missouri Side. I have lots of good family memories from those places.

If you like College Basketball, the NCAA College Basketball Experience at the Sprint Center is definitely worth a look into. It's in downtown KCMO.

Kansas City has LOTS of great barbecue, and everyone is going to be glad to tell you their favorite. As someone who grew up there, I have to say that I think it would be a crime not to go to the original gas station location of "Oklahoma Joe's." It's over in Kansas City, KS, close to the State Line.

• bocmaxima's Profile Photo

by bocmaxima Online Now Mar 24, 2013 at 8:24 PM

The problem with Kansas City is that the ballpark is several miles to the southeast of the central part of the city. There are several hotels right by the sports complex and, if my main goal was to see a game, I would stay out there and drive to visit the city's other attractions. This will save you the hassle of dealing with traffic and parking when going to the game.

In addition to what's been suggested, there's a good public market in Downtown Kansas City with some great restaurants inside, the Nelson Museum of Art and the IMAX and museums inside of Union Station (one of which is a natural science museum). Even if the museums are of no interest, if you're into railroads at all, KC's Union Station is one of those grand, old Midwestern railroad depots with great architecture. For food, barbecue and steaks are their thing there.

The KC Power & Light District has a lot of bars and allows open containers. It can get raucous later in the evening but is worth a look around.

Lawrence is a great town just about 30 minutes west of KC, and Topeka has the Brown vs. Board of Education National Historic Park, which I thought was really well done. I don't know that either of those will be of any interest to 15-year-olds, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines