Kansas City Travel Answers

change location

March Madness 2009

by marchmadman Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 1:57 PM

Hi all!

A group of mid to late twenties canadians (8 to be exact) try and hit the first round of march madness every year. This is a classic boys only weekend so we are interested in great food, great drinks and plenty to see and do during both the day and night.

I am pulling for Kansas City to be our 2009 location. I have done a bit of research on the city and I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a few questions.

1) Where would the best area (or even hotel) for us to stay? It would be nice to be in a spot with planty of restaurants (BBQ!), brewpubs and nightlife all relatiely close to the sprint center.

2) Will we need to rent a car for our stay or is getting around town easy enough?

3) I plan on checking out the art museum, jazz museum and possibly the world of fun in addition to the NCAA games. Are there any other attractions or lessor known spots that I simply shouldn't miss?

4) Any suggestions for restaurants, pubs, jazz clubs etc would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot and hopefully see you in 2009!

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • lostsooner55's Profile Photo

Re: March Madness 2009

by lostsooner55 Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 2:38 PM

(1) I'll look at the Sunday KC paper and be able to give you a more specific answer then. There is still some building going on in that area I believe. (2) I would rent a car as you want to do activities outside the arena area. You might look at a package deal with maybe an airline, hotel, and rental car. I'm sure the rental price, and hotel prices will "mysteriously" rise near tournament time. (3) Worlds of Fun likely will not be open in late March. In 2008, they will not open until April 12th. Through April, they will also only be open on the weekends. (4) For BBQ, the restaurants usually mentioned as among the best are Arthur Bryant's, Fiorellos, Oklahoma Joe's, in the Kansas side of KC,and Smokehouse BBQ. I'll get back to you on the things to do as well. Gary

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • giampiero6's Profile Photo

by giampiero6 Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 2:50 PM

I lived in KC long ago. You'll probably want to be in the Plaza or Westport area for fun. Lostsooner's done a great job of BBQ joints suggestions. Personally I love Fiorellos Jack Stack., but the others are great as well. You pretty much can't go wrong with KC Barbeque. The Nelson is a great spot and then addition is pretty cool. Have fun! Oh and you'll definitely need a car. KC is very spread out..

• lostsooner55's Profile Photo

by lostsooner55 Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 3:43 PM

You can find a very good web link for Kansas City at : www.kansascity.com/287. After you read about the "Power and Light District", and the rest of downtown,you'll see why suggestions are difficult. They are basically rebuilding the downtown area. They have a new travel insert for the area in the Sunday paper about once a month. Gary

• cindi5775's Profile Photo

by cindi5775 Online Now Apr 5, 2008 at 4:36 PM

You will need to rent a car as Kansas City is very spread out and does not have much of a public transportation system.

I agree that Westport or the Plaza would be the best places to stay...lots of restaurants and bars where you can watch the games.

For BBQ, my favorites on the Kansas side are KC Masterpiece and Jack Stack.

Definitely check out the Nelson-Atkins museum as well as the Jazz district.

You might even want to take a trip to Lawrence (about an hour to the west of Kansas City) to see Allen Fieldhouse...home of the KU Jayhawks with lots of basketball tradition and a statue of James Naismith, basketball's inventor.

Have a great time!

Cindi

• Re: March Madness 2009

by marchmadman Online Now Apr 20, 2008 at 6:12 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions! We have made ticket applications and are now behing the 8 ball as to whether we get them or not. Fingers crossed!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines