Kansas City Travel Answers

change location
CALSF's Profile Photo

Are Lindsborg and Salina diverse towns?

by CALSF Online Now Jun 20, 2004 at 7:52 PM

We need to travel here for a chess event. What I can gather is these are really small towns; we're from San Francisco, used to the big city. Are the communities here diverse, friendly?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • ironylover's Profile Photo

Re: Are Lindsborg and Salina diverse towns?

by ironylover Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 10:41 AM

I don't think I ever stopped in Salina when travelling between KC and Denver but here's where you can find out more than you probably want to know about this berg http://www.salinakansas.org/ .

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • CALSF's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Are Lindsborg and Salina diverse towns?

by CALSF Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 12:46 PM

I'm referring to racial diversity actually. First of all, we're part of a minority; my cousin had moved to a very small town in MN. so she could attend university. She told me that the day she arrived and stopped into a restaurant everyone just stared at her. It's because they don't encounter minorities. My co-worker, who's mixed, grew up in Kansas City, MO. and hated it. That's why she moved away and she told me the same thing. Maybe I should not worry so much but I don't wish for us to feel uncomfortable.

• Re: Are Lindsborg and Salina diverse towns?

by jayhawk2000 Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 1:38 PM

I would consider Salina and Lindsborg to be among the more cultured of Kansas communities...they are both major art colonies and college towns and offer much to see and do when it comes to theater, music, galleries and museums. Salina even has a winery, so you'll feel right at home. Lindsborg is an adorable town with a colorful main street, many interesing landmarks, welcoming restaurants, cute shops and busy artists. Everyone is buzzing around fuelled by 'Swedish gasoline' (coffee!). More pics and info on my pages. Salina is one of the largest cities in Kansas, but still probably would qualify as a small town to Californians. It has many Art Deco buildings in its downtown, which is full of independent shops selling local crafts, quilts and antiques. They also have a roller rink and (*gasp*) a sex shop. Salina is quite ethnically diverse for Kansas and I recall from my last trip there seeing kids of all races playing on the street together. I also noticed a shop on 9th Street selling clothes, food, music and religious statues called Azteca de Oro La Tienda Mexicana. Recent immigrants like the Mexicans and Laotians are now neighbours with the Russians, Germans and Swedes who settled much of this area. Like other Kansans, I have been raised to be proud of the role we played in the abolition of slavery. I hope you find my fellow Kansans to be friendly and welcoming. Happy travels!

• Seabiscuit's Profile Photo

by Seabiscuit Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 1:51 PM

And, (if memory serves correct), Salina is the home of Tony's Pizza! (Not a *big* selling point, but you won't go hungry). ;o) Jeff-

• CALSF's Profile Photo

by CALSF Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 2:11 PM

Thanks so much to all of you for informing me about these two towns. I'm glad to know and it really helps (A sex shop?). And I'm grateful you didn't think that my concerns were silly. I think I it's because I've heard from people like my cousin and my co-worker who had not so good experiences with their small towns that it got me worried. Jayhawk, can you recommend any restaurants in Lindsborg that open a bit late? Our schedule will be dependent on my son's games. He may end up finishing his games late into the night-maybe 8 or 9. I know there's a McDonalds that opens until midnight as per the Lindsborg info. website. But is there anything else available? Thanks.

• Re: Re: Are Lindsborg and Salina diverse towns?

by jayhawk2000 Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 2:55 PM

I'm afraid Lindsborg rolls up its sidewalks around 8 o'clock most nights and your only other late-night eating option will be Pizza Hut. Or there might be edible undies at that Salina sex shop... :) Lindsborg's local visitors bureau has a very good listing of eateries to give you some ideas: lindsborg.org/lodging_dining... I've added more photos and info to my Lindsborg page especially for you and wish you the very best for great trip...good luck!

• CALSF's Profile Photo

by CALSF Online Now Jun 21, 2004 at 3:17 PM

Hi Jayhawk, thanks for the heads up on the hours. Pizza Hut is ok if that's all that'll be available. I'll check out your pages; thanks for including info. for me, that's really nice of you. No to the sex shop though!:)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines