Kansas City Travel Answers

change location

Good young family neighborhoods near South KC burbs?

by pacificnw1 Online Now Apr 22, 2004 at 3:11 PM

My wife, toddlers, and I are thinking about moving back to Kansas City. I grew up in Overland Park, but haven't lived there for almost 20 years now. Ideally, I'm looking for a good middle class income community with new development, young families, and good schools. My parents live in Leawood, but that's too expensive and seems a better fit for older families or retirees (like them). Can anybody suggest good growth locations that would be within 30 minutes of Leawood? How is Olathe doing now? I hear that Lee's Summit has had a growth boom, too. We're visiting later this summer to look around so any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • Re: Good young family neighborhoods near South KC burbs?

by Beavo Online Now May 2, 2004 at 3:11 AM

I moved to Olathe 10 years ago after moving from Minnesota to live closer to my daughter and family, who live here. It is a great town, very progressive, and, according to the paper, is a candidate for All-American city. It has shown much growth, has a good school system, and seems to be largely a younger family city. I visit friends in Leawood and it takes me 15 minutes to get there, in other than peak traffic times. It might be helpful to get an idea of what the city is about, by subscribing to a local newspaper, such as the Olathe Daily News, to see what is going on here. In prior years, before I relocated, I would subscribe to a newspaper from the area, to begin to acclimate myself to what it was going to be like and what was available and what was happening!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: Good young family neighborhoods near South KC burbs?

by pacificnw1 Online Now May 11, 2004 at 5:05 PM

Beavo, thanks for the info and the tip about subscribing to the local paper. That's good advice.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines