Kansas Travel Answers

change location

HAPPY KANSAS DAY!

by jayhawk2000 Online Now Jan 29, 2003 at 10:07 AM

Happy Kansas Day to my fellow jayhawks! Ad astra per aspera, my friends, and may your sunflower always follow the sun! Today marks the state's admission to the Union in 1861. In our grade school that meant a day churning butter to get a feel for pioneer life plus singing the state song, Home on the Range. It's a lovely tune and far more memorable than most other state songs. I mean, Here We Have Idaho?? :) Oh, the other thing we had to do was draw the state flag. This is one tall order for fourth-graders because it features Indians on horseback chasing bison, a wagon train, a farmer plowing the fields, a log cabin AND a steamboat on a river. Oh, and a mountain range, the great Imaginary Mountains that you can see 50 miles east of the Boondocks. I wonder, do other American states observe state days and are they nearly as fun?

Quote & Answer
1 Answer
  • yooperprof's Profile Photo

Re: Re: HAPPY KANSAS DAY!

by yooperprof Online Now Jan 29, 2003 at 6:06 PM

To the stars, with difficulty! I have memories of making sunflowers with blue and yellow construction paper and then taping them up all over the school. And one year, on Kansas Day, we got to take a bus trip all the way to TOPEKA - sixty miles! - to see the state capitol with its great John Brown murals.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Kansas Travel Answer Locations