Kangaroo Island Travel Answers

change location
Susumarie's Profile Photo

Kangaroo Island Day Trips?

by Susumarie Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 9:07 AM

Is there any practicality to day trips to Kangaroo Island, or is it too far, too much? How long does it take to get their/back by ferry?
Thank you,
Elizabeth

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • unaS's Profile Photo

Re: Kangaroo Island Day Trips?

by unaS Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 10:54 AM

I suggest one of the many 2day/1night trips. We went with Wayward tours. It was great! Enjoy.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Kakapo2's Profile Photo

by Kakapo2 Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 12:50 PM

Have you seen this great website about the island:

http://www.tourkangarooisland.com.au/

There you find everything you want to know.

The ferry trip takes only 45 minutes but the island is big - 1600 km of roads.

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Nov 4, 2008 at 5:00 PM

We did a 1 day tour from Adelaide (due to lack of time due to the timetable of the Indian Pacific) just to get an idea and an impression. We picked going by bus and ferry to the island and back by plane. The tour turned out to be the perfect solution to our problem. I know K.I. deserves 2 or 3 days but we had no choice, better one day than nothing.

We booked the tour with Gray Lines but it turned out to be a Sealink tour (the company that also operates the ferry from Jervis Bay).
    ATTENTION: There are two different Sealink tours. One includes a honey farm, an eucalyptus oil press and dunno what else - places where you are expected to shop and waste a lot of your precious time. Ours, however, was a different and much better one that was sightseeing only and no shopping.

We were taken by bus to the ferry, crossed over to Penneshaw where were picked up by another bus. The guide was a Kangaroo Island local who had a lot of stories to tell. We got to see Seal Bay, the Remarkable Rocks, Admirals Arch and Cape di Couedic, had lunch at a campground in Flinders Chase National Park with a Koala Walk, lots of roos and wallabies, stopped at the Vitistors' Centre of Flinders Chase N.P. On the way back the bus dropped us off at Kingscote Airport, we flew back to Adelaide and even got picked up and taken back to our hotel. Organization was as smooth as can be.

I'd say it was worth it. We saw the most important spots without feeling too rushed. Without an organized tour, however, I would not suggest trying to 'do' the island in one single day.

• Re: Kangaroo Island Day Trips?

by Anne12 Online Now Nov 5, 2008 at 9:22 PM

Great reply from Kathrin...

• Kathrin_E's Profile Photo

by Kathrin_E Online Now Nov 6, 2008 at 2:45 AM

Oooh thanks Anne... *blushes*

I'd have liked to stay longer on Kangaroo Island. We took our time on the Great Road, though, so we had to make choices and sacrifices and said, one day is better than nothing. All the rest of our trip was independent travel, this one tour enabled us to at least see a bit of K.I. without being stressed.

• adelaidean's Profile Photo

by adelaidean Online Now Nov 6, 2008 at 1:50 PM

and dont forget you have a 90 minute trip from adelaide just to get to Cape Jervois...If one day is all you have, I would still do it, but if you can stay o/n then that is even better! Its a great place. So much wildlife there, and so beautiful.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines