Kangaroo Island Travel Answers

change location
Quero's Profile Photo

Plane or boat to KI?

by Quero Online Now Sep 21, 2003 at 5:13 AM

One KI travel page suggests getting to KI by ferry since it takes only a few minutes longer and is quite a lot less expensive than flying. But.... We (five of us) are flying into Adelaide from abroad and would have to get from the airport to the ferry terminal (and the same on the return trip) in order to catch the ferry. I'm kind of thinking that it might be better just to book a flight in order to avoid the hassle of transfers. Any advice? Quero

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Plane or boat to KI?

by surfnut Online Now Sep 21, 2003 at 7:17 AM

My husband, 17 year old daughter and I spent three weeks in Australia last summer. We flew into Adalaide from Sydney, spent the night in a hotel, then took a taxi the next morning and flew out of the small airport to Kangaroo Island. I don't remember the cost, but it was very convenient and easy. I would not bother with the ferry if you can afford to fly.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • FOotFetish's Profile Photo

Re: Plane or boat to KI?

by FOotFetish Online Now Sep 22, 2003 at 2:41 AM

I guess, it;s better off to take a ferry to KI> i just came back from there a month ago. We had a coach leaving off at the terminal bus station to bring us to the jetty.the journey takes abt 2 hrs or so. From there it;s another 45 mins ferry ride. KI. good choice..soo much to see .....to think that it is 7times as big as singapore island.

• Quero's Profile Photo

Re: Re: Plane or boat to KI?

by Quero Online Now Sep 24, 2003 at 7:01 AM

Thanks, guys for the help on this. I was supposing that we'd fly in and rent a car (since there are five of us) and drive around. But I'm certainly open to a very loose tour (even though I generally dislike organized tours). Peter, I'd appreciate the name of the tour operator. Maybe we don't need to do the whole tour...? One more question for those of you who have flown in to KI... there are two airports in Adelaide, right? I have a reference here to Emu Airways leaving from the "general aviation terminal" whereas Rex leaves from the "main terminal". Are these the same airport? If so, is it a *different* airport from the one we'll fly into from Kuala Lumpur on an international flight? Thanks again :-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines