Kangaroo Island Travel Answers

change location

Where should we stay?

by gpeterson2000 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:44 PM

My 21 year old daughter and I will be visiting Adelaide/KI in April. We were thinking about spending two days on the island. I'd rather not rent a car/drive there. I've read that you can join tours for a reduced price. I've also heard that public transportation is limited on KI and the tours don't pick up at every B&B/hotel, etc. We are interested in wildlife, sandboarding, water activities, and the rocks. Where would be the best place for us to stay in order to meet up with a tour?

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: Where should we stay?

by balhannah Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 3:57 PM

Hi! A good idea to stay on the Island a couple of days, gives you a chance to see more, and there is plenty to see! I haven't heard of reduced price tours. The tours would leave from the two main towns, Penneshaw the ferry arrives and Kingscote. I stayed at Penneshaw and found that quite convenient. You didn't say where you are from, but if you are Aussie or used to driving on the left hand side of the road, it is quite easy driving on the Island. Public transport is non -existent.

If you want to have a look, this is my page on what I did on Kangaroo Island "KANGAROO ISLAND" - Kangaroo Island by balhannah This is the main Kangaroo Island guide, although there are heaps on the web. tourkangarooisland.com.au/to...

Two days won't be enough time, but you will enjoy what you can see in that time. It is a wonderful place to visit!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Where should we stay?

by gpeterson2000 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:00 PM

Thanks for your help and for the link to your page. We're from the United States, so left-hand side driving would be an adjustment. I also suffer from night-blindness so that would also limit my abilities behind the wheel. I think a tour would be less stressful as long as we found one that fit our interests. I'd love to stay much longer, but we only have 10 days in Australia and there are a couple of other places we'd like to see too. Thanks again for your help and advice.

• balhannah's Profile Photo

Re: Where should we stay?

by balhannah Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I agree. Around late afternoon, say 4pm, the Kangaroo's are out feeding, and in the morning, so you wouldn't want to hit one of them. You will see a lot of wildlife and wonderful coastal scenery on the Island. I just had a quick look at tours and there seems to be quite a few to choose from. I do hope you find something you like. Another vter went with Groovy Grape tours on KI and recommended them. She had a wonderful time, but has since left vt. This is the link to her page. "Kangaroo Island - a paradise of nature" - Kangaroo Island by ettiewyn

If you are spending some time in south australia you might find my Adelaide page some help. "THE FORGOTTEN CAPITAL CITY - ADELAIDE" - Adelaide by balhannah

Have a good time DEE

• Re: Where should we stay?

by gpeterson2000 Online Now Feb 24, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Thank you! I will visit your page. We will be staying in Adelaide for two days as well!

I am an animal lover and would be devastated if I hit any animal - it would spoil my trip!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines