Kandy Travel Answers

change location
VM66's Profile Photo

Kandy Perahera/August

by VM66 Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 6:42 AM

Hi

I will be in Kandy on 17 August. It will be the date of the Kandy 3rd Randoli Perahera festival.

I'll be staying in the hotel Amaya Hills and need information on how to go/and return from the hotel to the place of Kandy Perahera.

It is also necessary to pay a ticket or is a public event?

I appreciate any information

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: Kandy Perahera/August

by HansDK Online Now Feb 28, 2013 at 8:01 AM

Take a tuk tuk from Amaya Hills to Kandy city centre.

It's a public event, but if you don't want to stand/sit on the pavement for hours before the Perahera starts it's better to buy a ticket for the stands

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • veroeddy's Profile Photo

by veroeddy Online Now Mar 2, 2013 at 10:40 AM

I was there last summer (2012) for the second time. You have different options:

1 The expensive one: booking an expensive seat

2 The local one: pack a blanket, lots on eating and drinking stuff and find a nice place on the sideway. Be aware of the fact that the route is changing from one day to another, but the immediate roads around the temple see the procession every night.

3 The adventurous one: stand and move during the event. Losts of people, difficult to move but not impossible

I strongly recommend the visit of the temple during the Perahera. Inside the temple garden you will see plenty of preparation including the people dressing for the procession. Something you can’t see if you are on a seat or in the street waiting. But if you want to see everything from the beginning to the end in a relative confort, the best is to seat in front of one of the houses. Virtually every shop or bank or restaurant on the route sells seats.

More on your website

Vero

• VM66's Profile Photo

by VM66 Online Now Mar 3, 2013 at 9:26 AM

As I´ll be staying at Amaya Hills hotel - 7km away from city center do you think it easy to get a tuktuk back to the hotel at the end of the festival?

• Treshi's Profile Photo

by Treshi Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Hi,

Yes there will be plenty of transportation available and as Hans has mentioned even tuk tuks specially during the perahera season for people to get about so need not worry about this too much. Also, you can request the hotel to arrange this for you as well but will be costly though it will be reliable and safe.

Rgds,

Treshi.

• VM66's Profile Photo

by VM66 Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the information.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM

I have seen the Perahera BOTH ways, just standing on the street and also buying a seat in front of the Suisse Hotel, which is just down the street from the Temple. The best lighting is there around the hotel, as that is where the international press is filming from, i.e., you can take good photos too. Most other areas are very poorly lit as far as getting photos. Also, the crush of people and the limited access to certain places by Police during the procession will greatly inhibit you. It is not so easy negotiating the streets in the near dark with hordes or people---do NOT carry anything of value on you.
    For the most part, everyone is respectful and courteous, but it IS difficult and time-consuming to move about both during and afterward. It is usually from abut 8pm for appriox 11 hrs, (from memory)

• HansDK's Profile Photo

by HansDK Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 2:28 AM

The Peraheras start from the Tooth Temple around 8-8.30 pm and lasts until 11-11.30 pm.

• ViajesdelMundo's Profile Photo

by ViajesdelMundo Online Now Mar 15, 2013 at 7:56 AM

there I go again, Hans!! was thinking 8-11 for 3 hours and ending up writing it totally wrong!! GRACIAS!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines