Kampala Travel Answers

change location
hphil527's Profile Photo

6 weeks budget

by hphil527 Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 12:17 AM

How much would it cost to stay in Kampala for six weeks?

Quote & Answer
8 Answers
  • explore_discover's Profile Photo

Re: 6 weeks budget

by explore_discover Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 1:48 AM

Around 50,000 UGSH/per night for Good Clean Hotel with free wifi, Meal around 5000 to 7000 Transport around Kampala by Boda Boda 2000 to 5000 depending the distance

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • explore_discover's Profile Photo

by explore_discover Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 9:33 AM

@ altafalidina...can you give the break up how and why it will cost USD5,000 for 6 weeks stay?

Be the first to rate this answer!

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:09 AM

I'm afraid altafalidina is just throwing a wrench into the works, without having a clue. It happens. I suggest that the original poster listen to Explore_discover. It has been a while for me, but his figures sound good.

The Original Posgter may also want to contact some present expats in Kampala, if only for verification and more information. These are examples but there are more. If you google Kampala or Uganda and the word - expats, and you will get the idea.

internations.org/kampala-exp...

expat-blog.com/en/destinatio...

Hope it helps.......d:o)

• ardelean's Profile Photo

by ardelean Online Now Mar 5, 2013 at 10:36 PM

Hotels in Kampala are expensive (USD150-250 per night - the headline price is lower, but then they add two three taxes and visitor tax - about 20% in all), but you might try Speke apartments, especially if there is more than one of you.

Boda-boda are cheap, but have no insurance, so you take your chances. Taxis are about USD4 per trip or per hours - all negotiable. Taxi to the airport is USD35.

Food can be cheap in the right place, but you need a local to show them to you. Century Gardens has several restaurants and the food halls in the malls are all a bit more expensive. Beware of imported goods in the supermarkets as they are relatively expensive.

• muguruki's Profile Photo

by muguruki Online Now Mar 6, 2013 at 6:36 AM

explore_discover has got it pretty much spot on. I was in Uganda last month I spent 24,000 a night on a hotel room in Kampala but that was the best value hotel I stayed in the whole country. There are some really tempting places to eat in the capital so on a few occasions I spent 10 or 15k on a meal. The nightlife is also very good and it is quite easy to get carried away and blow your budget drinking and dancing till morning. Someone I know was staying there and only spending 40,000 UGX a day and he was out drinking every night but sometimes on the rough waragi.

• wandivn's Profile Photo

by wandivn Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 2:06 AM

For a six week stay, i would recommend a furnished apartment or a guest House. They are relatively cheaper compared to a Hotel. An Apartment would cost you between $1000-2000 for all the six weeks depending on location and quality of the apartment and on top of that you wld have to provide your own meals. Guest house are the cheap alternative. you can stay in a guest house for about $30-50/per day inclusive of all meals. For transport i wouldn't recommend "Boda Bodas" since they are reckless and account for about 70% of all road Accidents. i would recommend you a get a local Taxi cab and negotiate. for a Taxi the average you might spend is about UGX 30,000 per day

• natochwah's Profile Photo

by natochwah Online Now Jul 8, 2013 at 9:49 AM

Hello, You will need about $2100 for all your meals and good accommodation. You also will need an extra about $1000 for traveling expenses and pocket money.

Help is readily available whenever needed. natochwah@gmail.com

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Jul 8, 2013 at 10:46 AM

Original Poster.

Beware of contacting anyone with no information on their pages, through their personal e-mails. No one here EVER responds to an outside e-mail. We communicate within VT.

You have no clue who you are contacting and, experience has taught us that people who are anonymous, with no personal info, offering help, - usually have an ulterior motive.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines