Kalutara Travel Answers

change location
ukbill's Profile Photo

The ICE Colombo/Kandy train - is it possible from Kalutara?

by ukbill Online Now Oct 19, 2010 at 7:47 AM

I'm staying at the Mermaid in Kalutara early November and I'd really like to try the train from Colombo to Kandy with the observation car. I know this might mean a crazy early morning start way down in Kalutara, but that doesn't worry me.
So my questions:-
1. Is is possible to do this journey there and back in just one day, spending several hours wandering around Kandy?
2. The Srilankan rail timetables I've looked at on-line seem to suggest it is possible, but seem to tell me that there's 3rd class only early mornings from Kalutara to Colombo - is the really early train likely to be uncomfortably crowded?
3. If it is possible - can I book this all in advance, with a reserved 1st class window seat (both ways) on the ICE train (I think it leaves Colombo at 7am??)
4. How much will it cost? (if it is possible)
Thanks for any replies

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • HansDK's Profile Photo

Re: The ICE Colombo/Kandy train - is it possible from Kalutara?

by HansDK Online Now Oct 19, 2010 at 11:15 AM

ICE train for Kandy leaves Colombo Fort 07:00 and arrives at Kandy 09:34. A commuter train (power set) leaves Kalutara North 05:18 and arrives at Colombo Fort 06:32.

In the afternoon the ICE leaves from Kandy 15:00 and arrives at Colombo Fort 17:38. A commuter train leaves Colombo Fort 18:15 and arrives Kalutara North 19:29.

I believe there are 3-4 different models of power sets. The latest Chinese model looks quite nice. As far as I remember only the very old model only has 3rd class. The newer has 2nd and 3rd class.

Early morning and late afternoon/early evening trains are always packed to capacity.

Seats on ICE trains (1st class observation and 2nd class) can be booked in person from 10 days before travel from Colombo Fort Station. For a fee I think Red Dot Tours can help you with the reservation. 1st class observation car only has 24 seats and you travel backwards. In 2nd class you will get the best views from the right hand (in travel direction) side of the train.

Colombo-Kandy one way: LKR 360/1st class observation, LKR 220/2nd class reserved seat.
    Kalutara-Colombo Fort one way: LKR 70/2nd class, LKR 40/3rd class

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • eastrunner's Profile Photo

Re: The ICE Colombo/Kandy train - is it possible from Kalutara?

by eastrunner Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 1:38 AM

Hi

Why don't you take a bus from Kalutara to fort may you have more options. When we were in SL our driver was able to make a 1st class reservation using a mobitel mobile phone. And we picked up the tickets on the day of travel at a counter at the fort railway station. Once you make the reservation you get a text message that has to be shown at the 'pick up' counter. This was quite convenient.

lankanewspapers.com/news/200...

ER

• Re: The ICE Colombo/Kandy train - is it possible from Kalutara?

by Mal48 Online Now Oct 20, 2010 at 2:05 AM

Hi, Think twice about journey to Kandy and back in just one day.. It is possible but all about traveling
    so what's that really means ?

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines