Kalmar Län Travel Answers

change location

What Gamleby,Kalmar,Sweden is like?

by Svensen Online Now Apr 23, 2004 at 10:20 AM

I am interested in traveling to Gamleby,Sweden but don't really know what it is like there? What sort of historic places are there? What kind of things are there to do there? What are the people like there? What are the accomodations like there? What are the people like there? Any help would be appeciated! Thank you, Svensen

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • Re: What Gamleby,Kalmar,Sweden is like?

by jonasb Online Now Apr 23, 2004 at 6:39 PM

Hello, Gamleby is a very small place in south of Sweden, not even a town. Historical i think Gamleby is in an old place where the viking lived. It´s also a area with lot´s of old mines from the 1600-century. But apart from that i think it´s not a very interesting place. It lives about 2000 ? people there. But nearby Västervik i think it´s nice in the summer. I real summer-town You shold visit, and there´s lot´s of nice places where you can take a swim there (In the Baltic sea) / J

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Re: What Gamleby,Kalmar,Sweden is like?

by Svensen Online Now Apr 24, 2004 at 7:42 AM

Greetings, Thank you for the information on Gamleby. I will take your advise into consideration while making my plans, am also going to be traveling to Norway. Again Thank you for the Information. Best Wishes,Sven

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: Re: What Gamleby,Kalmar,Sweden is like?

by Sjalen Online Now Apr 26, 2004 at 6:27 AM

I have a Gamleby page! :-))) But it is only small. However, I grew up in Västervik 20 kms south, to which Gamleby belong administratively so my page on that is much better. Västervik is a great summer town with an archipelago stretching north to Gamleby with lots of islands everywhere. Vikings did indeed live in Gamleby and there is a pre christianity runestone outside a school there. My great granddad also discovered lots of rock carvings in the area for the historical society. The name Gamleby means "old town" and that's as the town used to be what is today Västervik closer to the sea. They only moved the town in medieval days to fall under the protection of the fortress at Västervik and then Gamleby dwindled. Wonderful countryside though, with small farms and ice age valley floors. I would move back tomorrow if I had a job but there are none to be found in County Kalmar these days...:-(

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: What Gamleby,Kalmar,Sweden is like?

by Sjalen Online Now Apr 26, 2004 at 6:28 AM

Oh, I forgot...Västervik today is mostly known for being where ABBA's Björn Ulvaeus and tennis player Stefan Edberg come from :-)))

• Re: What Gamleby,Kalmar,Sweden is like?

by Norritontrader Online Now Jan 7, 2008 at 9:17 PM

I am looking to travel to Gamleby in late August Early September because I can't get off of work in june and July will this be an ok travel time?
    My Aunt lives in Gamleby so I have somewhere to stay.

thanks,

Jakob

Traveling from Philadelphia,Pa USA to Dublin,Ireland to Gamlemby.

• Sjalen's Profile Photo

Re: What Gamleby,Kalmar,Sweden is like?

by Sjalen Online Now Jan 17, 2008 at 11:52 AM

Perfect time.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Popular Kalmar Län Travel Answer Locations