Kakadu National Park Travel Answers

change location

Jim Jim & Twin Falls in May

by leighjohnson Online Now Nov 8, 2012 at 12:04 AM

Hi
We are planning a trip of the Darwin/ Kakadu & Katherine Regions in late May 2013. One of the areas I have read about which interests us, is the Jim Jim falls and Twin falls area. We will be hiring a 4WD from a hire car company (and need to read the fine print on using this) but I cannot find much information on whether this is feasible or not.
Is there enough water running in the falls at this time of the year, and therefore worth the extra money to hire a 4WD, as this is really the main reason for us to do this.
I researched doing a tour of these falls, but they don't start until June, so this bothers me a little as well, as is it unsafe for us to drive in this area?
Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Leigh

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • sirgaw's Profile Photo

Re: Jim Jim & Twin Falls in May

by sirgaw Online Now Nov 8, 2012 at 3:53 AM

Some will have me charged with heresy, but I found Kakadu to be 95% boring (maybe read my Kakadu pages to see why). We didnt get to Jim Jim or Twin Falls as we had rented a 2WD. I believe the falls do run all year and May is the very end of the wet, so the falls should be working well. Maybe contact the Bowali Visitors Centre (sorry I don't have e mail address for them, except try the guide - environment.gov.au/parks/pub... )

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Jim Jim & Twin Falls in May

by leighjohnson Online Now Nov 9, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Thanks for that. I contacted the Bowali Visitors Centre as suggested, and received some very helpful information. thanks for the tip.
    Leigh

• 1+1's Profile Photo

Re: Jim Jim & Twin Falls in May

by 1+1 Online Now Nov 9, 2012 at 2:04 AM

The reason you find tours don't start until June is that's when the area first opens after the wet season. Until the roads in those areas are trafficable there are locked gates to keep vehicles out. So if driving to Jim Jim and/or Twin Falls is the main reason for hiring a 4WD then there's no point in doing it. Wet seasons can end early but it's not wise to base your plans on that happening, most likely it won't.

However, if you really do want to see those falls in full flow there's always flights (fixed wing and helicopter) that will give you great views. See this page by Rosie235: "The way to see Kakadu - via Helicopter" - Darwin Travelogue by rosie235

And check out some decent pages that include Kakadu:

aussirose: "Darwin Survivor Outback Trip 2008" - Kakadu National Park by aussirose
    kiwi : "VT Darwin Survivor Outback Safari May 2008" - Northern Territory by kiwi
    tiabunna: "Kakadu and Arnhem Land with "VT Survivor"" - Kakadu National Park by tiabunna

And there's plenty of other great pages about Kakadu without boring yourself with pages of moaning and whining.

• Re: Jim Jim & Twin Falls in May

by leighjohnson Online Now Nov 9, 2012 at 11:02 PM

Thanks again for that information. We have decided to omit this area from our itinerary, and not hire a 4WD. There are lots of other places to visit that aren't difficult to access, so we will concentrate on those areas instead.
    Thanks for your help.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines