Kakadu National Park Travel Answers

change location
swdke's Profile Photo

Kakadu In November, what to expect, what is open, closed?

by swdke Online Now Apr 16, 2008 at 10:03 AM

I'll be in Kakadu National Park in November, on the 21st and 22nd. I read that this is the wet season, and some attractions or access to attractions is not permissable. Then, I also read that the real wet season is not till late December and January. Can anyone share what I can really expect? What sights will I not have access too? Also, this time of year, what is open, and what are the sights and attractions not to be missed? Thank you?

Quote & Answer
7 Answers
  • ricky52's Profile Photo

Re: Kakadu In November, what to expect, what is open, closed?

by ricky52 Online Now Apr 16, 2008 at 5:47 PM

Use this link for park info.

environment.gov.au/parks/kak...

Looked at average weather for the area and information is showing little or no rain, this can't be right because on this website does state that some roads are closed due to the wet season.
    You can contact them to get more info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • stedeb's Profile Photo

by stedeb Online Now Apr 16, 2008 at 8:30 PM

I am pretty sure most things will be open as this is only the start of the wet humidity is very high and tourists start to drop off. My husband did a Kakadu trip early December 07 and most things were ok. I think it would depend on how much rain they receive. There are plenty of rangers around and information to advise of any potential dangers.

• cafank's Profile Photo

by cafank Online Now Apr 16, 2008 at 11:31 PM

You should be OK in November. I've been up there with no rain at that time.

There may be the odd day of rain in October early November but usually the real wet is a bit later. You may also get thunderstorms and tropical rain storms in the afternoon and evening. Any closures (and that will depend upon just where the rain falls) will be announced on radio/TV at the time

Having said that this past year has been really crazy for weather patterns all over Australia so who knows what will be happening by November

• Re: Kakadu In November, what to expect, what is open, closed?

by Anne12 Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 8:14 PM

The weather should be fine at this time of year. The wet season shouldn't have kicked in.

With such a short time to do this area, I suggest that you do a tour from Darwin to Kakadu and Litchfield.
    One day Kakadu, one day Litchfield. This is the beat way as the National Park is HUGE, bloody HUGE and if you don't know where you are going it will take away the experience of visiting this area.
    You will miss a lot.
    This is one place I recommend you don't self drive unless you have heaps of time:)

There will be many tours leaving Darwin. I would suggest that you check out the web and then see what they offer, plus prices etc.Many Backpackers in Darwin, they all offer different trips to these areas.
    Most will do the main areas.

VT member (1+1) lives near Darwin, check out his pages:)

• Marianne2's Profile Photo

by Marianne2 Online Now Apr 17, 2008 at 8:54 PM

I have driven various routes through Kakadu a number of times, but I certainly agree with Anne, that your time is a bit limited. However it can be done in two days, but that's pushing the limit. I've been there in late November twice. The first time, the weather was fine. The second time was really amazing, as I was taking a very small plane flight over the Escarpment (it's a big rift-ridge geological formation), and suddenly the pilot said: "The Wet has come in." The three of us stared backwards from the plane and the whole sky was turning black. He headed the plane back to the small airport, and we barely landed before this torrential downpour pounded down, and sure enough, The Wet was "on." So, it's anyone's guess as to how the weather will be. I wish you very good luck, as it's a beautiful area!

• 1+1's Profile Photo

by 1+1 Online Now Apr 18, 2008 at 12:50 AM

Anne's right, if you drive yourself you'll probably be overwhelmed when you arrive and it'll be time to leave for Darwin before you know what's what. There's lots of tours going in that can take you directly to points of interest and give you information along the way. Remember, Kakadu is bigger than some of the small European countries and bigger than some of the smaller states of the US.

As far as weather goes, the wet season starts 1st October (officially). The monsoon usually starts late December. The monsoon is what most people think of when they talk about the wet season. September there's possibly a storm or two. October there's possibly a storm or three. November there's probably a few or more storms. December the storms become more frequent, from the south east, and then change to the monsoon from the north west.

The climate is a little similar to Bangkok or Port Moresby, but November is the hottest month with fewest tourists. Expect very high temperatures with very high humidity. Darwin is right on the coast but even just 10 - 15 kms from the coast the temperatures rise even higher.

About the only thing that might close early in Kakadu is the boat access to Twin Falls. They have to take the boats out before any heavy rains start so they don't leave it to last minute. Everything else usually keeps going into December in a normal year.

• Re: Kakadu In November, what to expect, what is open, closed?

by boge01 Online Now Aug 25, 2008 at 12:06 AM

well theres heaps on but remember that rains of mionsson stop in april/may. no more tilldec.so gunlom falls pools on top are great,then theres special permit places like gimbat and koolpin where limited access are set by special pre order thru park hq. try web site
    then there s every other place open but its not really flowing waterfalls and damn hot up to 40 cel. and 85% humidity. so no camping advised

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines