Kaiserslautern Travel Answers

change location

Travel Advice: Frankfurt-Hahn to Kaiserslautern

by R4de0n Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 8:11 AM

Hi,

I am due to start an exchange next month in the University of Kaiserslautern. I am arriving on a Friday evening at 19.25 and I need to make my way from Frankfurt-Hahn to Kaiserslautern. I cant seem to find a bus directly from the airport to Kaiserslautern. Would anyone be able to give me an idea what the best way to make this journey is ?

Quote & Answer
6 Answers
  • margsch's Profile Photo

Re: Travel Advice: Frankfurt-Hahn to Kaiserslautern

by margsch Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 8:46 AM

Go into the German Rail website, deutschebahn.com and this will give all modes of transport. You can select English if this is your preferred language. I had a look and it seems to be a long trip, 3 - 4.5 hours. There are also a number of changes necessary. If you could wait until the next day there is a bus and train combination with only 1 change.
    Make sure you put Frankfurt Hahn as departure point as the website defaults to Frankfurt (Main) airport.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer

by margsch Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 9:03 AM

I am confused myself as, looking at google maps, the distance is only 102 km.

• christine.j's Profile Photo

by christine.j Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 9:23 AM

There is no direct bus from Hahn to Kaiserslautern. It looks like your best way would be to take the bus to Mannheim, spend the night there and take a train the next morning.
    hahn-airport.de/default.aspx... is a map of the connections from Hahn,

hahn-express.de/hahn_bus_pop...
    is the new schedule, effective from tomorrow.

To get from Mannheim to Kaiserslautern check the bahn.de website given in the post above. Check "local transport only" to get to the cheaper local trains. The distance between Mannheim and Kaiserslautern is not long enough to pay more for a fast train, in my mind.

• Trekki's Profile Photo

by Trekki Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 12:00 PM

@margsch: no need to be confused. The reason is that Frankfurt-Hahn is north of (or in the northern part) of Hunsrück mountain range and Kaiserslautern in the middle of Pfälzerwald (Palatine Forest, very dense). And there is just no direct train connection. The distance as the bee flows is even shorter, 60-70 km. When you look at this map:
    welt-atlas.de/datenbank/kart...
    it becomes better visible/understandable.

by margsch Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 1:04 PM

Had a look at the satellite picture and the road was very winding, no doubt because of the mountains.

• abalada's Profile Photo

by abalada Online Now Feb 25, 2012 at 3:43 PM

DB timetable
    reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/qu...
    Start: HHN
    Destination: Kaiserslautern Hbf
    There is a connection starting by bus dep 20:35 to Idar-Oberstein. And from there by trains to Kaiserslautern (arr 00:03). You can use a Rheinland-Pfalz Ticket Nacht for this. EUR 17,00. Covers also the bus from Hahn Airport (HHN) to Idar-Oberstein. But not sure if you can buy this ticket from the bus driver. Buy it online through the DB timetable.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kaiserslautern