Kailua-Kona Travel Answers

change location

hotel /condo recommendation for IronMan Competition

by mfenrn Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 2:55 AM

My niece is competing in the Ironman this October. She is staying @ a resort condo in Keauhou. She suggests I look for a hotel Btween Palani Dr and the end of Alii Drive as they will be running in that area. Has anyone attended the event as a spectator that can recommend a hotel or condo that would be along this route?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • patrick808's Profile Photo

RE: hotel /condo recommendation for IronMan Competition

by patrick808 Online Now Jun 11, 2006 at 3:26 AM

I have seen 9 of the last 10 World Championship Triathalons in Kona from before the start until after the finish line closes.

You're really too late to get anything you'd normally be happy with. But, if you can afford it, call the King Kamehameha Kona Beach Hotel. They usually have several over priced rooms available for the race "week." It's a great place to stay since it is the center of most official activities for the Triathalon.

Good luck and Aloha!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • eenelfje's Profile Photo

RE: RE: hotel /condo recommendation for IronMan Competition

by eenelfje Online Now Jun 13, 2006 at 3:29 PM

I saw the Iron Man Thriatlon in October 2005. I stayed in Hilo and drove to Kona. One thing......IF you are going to be on the Big Island during the Iron Man Triatlon and you want to rent a car .....definately book the car at least 3 months in advance !! I was glad somebody told me so I did, because there was NO rental car left on the island during the Iron Man !!

• Re: hotel /condo recommendation for IronMan Competition

by hicksspa Online Now Aug 24, 2007 at 7:31 PM

A good source to check is the local paper West Hawaii Today, classifieds. They have a website, www.westhawaiitoday.com. They post apartment rentals, vacation rentals, all kinds of accomodations - there are often people that live along Alii Drive that have rentals only during Ironman week.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines