Kailua-Kona Travel Answers

change location

kailua-kona vs. waikiki beach

by ktoole Online Now May 24, 2006 at 8:29 PM

My husband and I are traveling to Hawaii in January, and we are debating between going to Kailua Kona or to Waikiki Beach. Any suggestions on which one we should go to and why you suggest that it.
Thanks...

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • eenelfje's Profile Photo

RE: kailua-kona vs. waikiki beach

by eenelfje Online Now May 26, 2006 at 5:32 PM

Well actually you cannot compare those two. They are totally different.Why dont you go to both if you have time enough ?

Waikiki is has a big boulevard with huge hotels, very touristy, lots of shops, etc etc.

Kailua Kona is just a small town. Also lots of shops and touristy too but on a small scale. Its not big.

So you cannot compare them because they are so different.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • RE: kailua-kona vs. waikiki beach

by mfrihart Online Now Jun 3, 2006 at 9:42 PM

My wife and I spent 2 1/2 weeks in Hawaii last November and hit 5 islands. It was our first trip to the islands. Most of 1 week was on the Big Island, and we finished the trip on Waikiki Beach. If you like a big city environment (hustle and bustle with literally thousands of people on the sidewalks, long waits for a seat in restaurants, lots of high end shopping, along with trash and trinkets) then Waikiki is the place to go. Oahu has other sights to see once you get out of Honolulu.

On the other hand, if you prefer a slower pace and access to an erupting volcano (highly recommended!), multiple national / historic parks, spending some time on the beach or snorkeling without having to fight for space, and very few people to get in the way of your camera, then the Big Island would fit the bill. Absolute "don't miss" - Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. Next door to the visitor's center is the Volcano Arts Center that features work by local artisans. Marvelous place to see the results of nature and man at work.

The next time we return, it will be to the Big Island. Even if we only plan to stay 1 week, we will not stay in one location to have easier access to other parts of the island. Did I mention that the Big Island was by far our favorite of the 5 we visited? We are more of the naturalist, hiking, wide open spaces, photography types - hence the bias. (BI, Kauai, Molokai, Maui, Oahu is our list in preferred order.) And if you prefer the big city scene, we will just have to bump into you someplace else one day! Have fun.

• RE: kailua-kona vs. waikiki beach

by laura_mh Online Now Jun 22, 2006 at 9:07 AM

Also, Waikiki and Oahu in general have more in the way of beaches, if real beaches are important to you.

The Bis Island has beaches, but for its size and mass, the island is not known for having lots of safe swimming beaches.

But I personally love the Big Island, so much to see...and GREAT scuba!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines