Kailua-Kona Travel Answers

change location

Taxi to Kahalu'u Beach?

by SheriB Online Now Oct 2, 2004 at 6:18 PM

My husband and I will be visiting - via cruise ship -in January. I would like to get to Kahalu'u Beach from wherever the cruise ship will be docking in Kona. (We'll be in Kona from 8AM til 6PM). I understand this is a wonderful beach to snorkel. Will it be possible to get a taxi to take us to the beach - and if so, will we be able to get one easily to get back to the ship? If we did go by taxi - would it be very expensive - is the beach very far from where the cruise ships dock? Or should we be looking into renting a car instead? Thanks. sheri

Quote & Answer
2 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Taxi to Kahalu'u Beach?

by travelgourmet Online Now Oct 3, 2004 at 12:30 AM

Kahalu'u Beach Park is about 4 miles south of the port in Kona. Taxi from town would get you there, but not sure getting back to port. You could rent a motor scooter, a lot cheaper than a vehicle. Actually, there is another area as well with great snorkeling. South , further down is the Place of Refuge, worth seeing, and while at it you could snorkel next door in Honaunau Bay. The Kahalu'u area could be very crowded compared to Honaunau Bay and the added site, Place of Refuge makes a great tourist stop as well. It's about 14 miles to the bay from the port. A car rental might be just as inexpensive as a scooter and probably less than sweating getting a taxi both ways. Aloha Oe.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Taxi to Kahalu'u Beach?

by SunnyJo Online Now Jan 8, 2005 at 9:33 AM

Aloha! First, your ship will not dock. You will be most likely on smaller boat to get to pier. Second, there is local bus called Alii Shuttle that can take you to the beach. If you go early it isn't crowded at all and you'll have better chance of not getting a sun burn. :) Same shuttle can take you Mauka (up hill) to Keauhou shopping center for best view of your ship in port and bit of shopping. :) Enjoy the island!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines