Kailua-Kona Travel Answers

change location

Green Sands Beach

by dctbrown Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 8:20 PM

One review says its a 5 mile hike while another says a local will drive ... is there alwasy someone who will drive you there without making you broke?

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Green Sands Beach

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 19, 2013 at 9:26 PM

Aloha nui......d:o)

The hike to Papakolea or Green Sands Beach is 5 miles round trip, not one way. Located in Mahana Bay, which is really a top of a volcano with three sides of the cone forming the rather unusual beach, with the fourth side being underwater.

Do expect to do the hike, but make sure you take the right route or it will be 5 miles one way........d:o)

Do not expect locals to be there on a regular basis, and do not even think about renting a 4X4 and doing it yourself, unless you are an experienced off roader. Even so, the chance of damaging a rentacar is fairly good, and that will cost you dearly, so I do not recommend it.

You may get lucky and happen upon a local willing to give you a ride, and do not entertain any thoughts regarding not paying for the ride. I don't really know what they are cxharging these days, but some years back twenty bucks was a norm.

Make sure you dress for a hike (Boots and water are essential). Don't be a fool and try this in flip flops, - it is a pitiful sight.

Expect to spend a whole day doing this, - it is more than a two hour drive from Kona. However, once at South Point, you can say that you have been to the southern most point in the United States.

Aloha nui loa.........d:o)

1 member found this helpful

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Green Sands Beach

by pyj1 Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Odinnthor's answer is excellent on all points,

I only went to Green Beach once, 2 years ago, and they were offering rides to go in, we didn't think it was a long walk, so we walked.

It's not a hard walk, but the 2.5 miles to go seems accurate, not sure how long it took us but let's say we were surprised it was so far and had flip-flops which made us walk slower. But it's not a trek, it's just an easy walk, no worries there.

The guys giving rides (back of a pickup ride), offered us a ride back, we accepted this time, they charged like 5$ for the guys and free for the girls (we were 2 of each). I think they charge more to go from the 'parking lot' to the beach, and offer cheap rides back, but I am not sure. But the beach can be popular, so I would expect people to be there for rides very often.

Also, like Oddinthor said, whatever you do, do not go with your own car, you will def damage it, you either need a old pick up, or a very high pick up, some spots are so caved in, you will break all the under of your car. So don't do try it, seriously.

1 member found this helpful

• Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Green Sands Beach

by Odinnthor Online Now Mar 26, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Thanks "pyj1". Always nice to have backup.......d:o)
    Mahalo my good makamaka........Shaka brah.......d;o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines