Kailua Travel Answers

change location
Seradoms's Profile Photo

A place to stay in Kailua that Easy On The Pocketbook

by Seradoms Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 12:52 PM

There have been some great tips and forums for the Waikiki area and Honolulu, but I am looking for a cheap place to stay with my boyfriend for 3-4 days in November right in Kailua. I would be happy with a double mattress on the floor of a hut, a tent site on a beach, or just good 'ol fashioned budget hotel/hostels.

Suggestions? :-)

Quote & Answer
5 Answers
  • BlueCollar's Profile Photo

Re: A place to stay in Kailua that Easy On The Pocketbook

by BlueCollar Online Now Oct 24, 2007 at 3:59 PM

Please, define "cheap".

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: A place to stay in Kailua that Easy On The Pocketbook

by chrishawaii Online Now Nov 12, 2007 at 12:07 AM

Well for the kailua area there are no hotels on that side of the island, however there are many private rentals or I believe bed and breakfast on that side that you could rent.

Try www.vrbo.com and see if you can find anything there. I believe these people are all licensed. If doing a private rental be sure that the person you are renting from is licensed as it is illegal for them to rent to visitors without a license and hawaii getting their tax!

Good luck!

• micheleld's Profile Photo

by micheleld Online Now Nov 20, 2007 at 2:11 AM

Best of luck. Kailua and cheap don't go together and I certainly haven't seen any "huts" there. It's very much been infiltrated with ....how do I say this.... more wealthy white people. Look to the north shore. There are some great dwon to earth hostels up there and even though it is the "high surf" season up there, you will probably find much more what you are looking for. No snorkeling this time of year but great to watch the surfers and there are great people and some protected spots to swim anyway. Otherwise settle for the hostels in Waikiki and take in the crazy party scene down here. Peace and quiet=north shore, with lots of flavor. Guaranteed calm beach = south shore but can be crazy city/ party scene. I will say the the VRBO website is a great suggestion. That is your best bet.

• Seradoms's Profile Photo

by Seradoms Online Now Feb 2, 2008 at 10:48 AM

haha, thanks for your help guys ... I have re-adjusted the travel plans :-) !

• leanneedwards's Profile Photo

by leanneedwards Online Now Mar 22, 2011 at 8:20 PM

My friends have a VRBO in Kailua, on Oahu... check outvrbo Luna house kailua and then go to 2 Views it is amazing and reasonable...this is the blonde area of hawaii so not really any huts or tents but check out Waimonalo... sorry such bad spelling.... be safe...

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines