Kaikoura Travel Answers

change location

Kaikoura in May?

by lady_jess Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 5:15 PM

Hi, I was wondering if anyone can tell me about whether Kaikoura is a decent destination the first week of May? I don't know what kind of activities are still available at that time of year, but I am interested in swimming w/ dolphins or seals or whale watching or something along those lines...

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Kaikoura in May?

by kiwi Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 5:21 PM

Activities in Kaikoura operate all year round, but there must be prime times for the whales to be in the area. Dolphins are in our coastal seas most of the year. You don't always see them though. Anyway check out this site: http://www.whalewatch.co.nz/

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • kiwi's Profile Photo

Kaikoura in May?

by kiwi Online Now Mar 23, 2004 at 5:24 PM

oh and sorry I forgot, check out the member tips on Kaikoura, you can access them here: virtualtourist.com/vt/1cbc8e... I'll be down there that week, too, in the South Island. I'm looking for photographic opportunities with the autumn colours. Have fun, kiwi.

• kiwi's Profile Photo

Kaikoura in May?

by kiwi Online Now Mar 24, 2004 at 2:27 AM

Well in my opinion any time of year is way too cold to be swimming off the coast of the South Island of NZ! HOwever toughguys like Vin Diesel can deal with the cold which probably pumps them. You do, however, get supplied with cold water wet suits, which are quite different to Calif wetsuits, and they do operate all year. The dolphins tend to keep further out in the winter months, and come closer inshore during summer. Another url to visit: http://www.dolphin.co.nz/ May will indeed be cold in the water, so you need to consider that.

• Re: Kaikoura in May?

by khoo88 Online Now Sep 14, 2004 at 7:01 PM

Hi, Look at my travelpage under Kaikoura.You might find something interesting.Happy swimming with the dolphin! Khoo88

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines