Kabul Travel Answers

change location

Suggestions for a new arrival to Kabul?

by susanflies Online Now Dec 13, 2003 at 7:06 AM

I'm going to Kabul for four months, and will be arriving on or around 30 December 03. I've gotten the warnings from the US Embassy's website, and the weather from weatherunderground.com, but I'd like to know what I can expect from people who have actually been there. What's life like? Are the people generally friendly or hostile toward Americans? I'm packing everything I can think of, but are there any special things that you' d suggest I bring? (Things I might not normally think of?) If I want to bring small gifts for local people, what would you suggest? Thanks in advance for the advice! Susan

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Re: Suggestions for a new arrival to Kabul?

by TallTariq Online Now Dec 14, 2003 at 7:38 PM

Susan - I'm arriving in Kabul on 12/31 from Dubai. I'm a contractor who works in both Iraq and Afghanistan, in the telecom sector, on reconstruction projects. Kabul is a LOT more settled than Baghdad, and if you're careful, use common sense, and don't forget where you are, you'll be fine. What kind of work will you be doing? (You're not going for tourism are you??) I can give you more info.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Wakhan's Profile Photo

Re: Suggestions for a new arrival to Kabul?

by Wakhan Online Now Dec 19, 2003 at 2:39 PM

You may check out this excellent website: http://www.kabulguide.net/ + there's a new Bradt guidebook on Kabul: bradt-travelguides.com/syste...

• Re: Re: Suggestions for a new arrival to Kabul?

by thisisbanane Online Now Jun 27, 2004 at 4:22 AM

You should check out Brandita's Kabul page - i just read it and it is fantastic, very helpful. She might be able to help you out.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines

Near Kabul