Kaanapali Travel Answers

change location
cmillard's Profile Photo

Honua Kai

by cmillard Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 7:46 AM

Aloha!

We are looking at booking the new Honua Kai resort in Kaanapali. It looks beautiful and the reviews are great. My only concern is when I look at some arial shots, it looks like there is some HUGE construction going on next door to the resort. Has anyone stayed at the Honua Kai recently and if so was the construction a problem? (i.e loud trucks, noise etc.)

Thank you,
Mickey

Quote & Answer
3 Answers
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

Re: Honua Kai

by Odinnthor Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM

No, I have not been there recently, but I cannot see where they might plop down another condo property close by, but it is possible. However none of the recent reviews on TripAdvisor mention any disruptive construction.

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

The Honua Kai is indeed a nice condo/property. However, one point,- although they advertise as being part of the Kaanapali Beach Resort, they are not. Kaanapali Beach resort area ends at Black Rock, (you can see it on a google map). The Black Rock, shelters Kaanapali Beach from the winds that are prevelant on the north side of the Rock. It is really in the Honokowaii area.

That is not a bad thing, - other than they are on the windy side. Should not be a problem at all. Just a clarification.

The Honua is large enough so that even if there was construction close by, it would or should not bother you.

I lived in Lahaina for a number of years, so I know the island well. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.

Aloha nui loa........d:o)

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • YVRDave's Profile Photo

by YVRDave Online Now Feb 26, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Most arial phots on the net are 2 + years old, the construction is most probably well over with

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Feb 27, 2011 at 11:44 AM

lol. Yes, the photos are old, even on Google Earth. The best way to find out is to call the front desk and ask if there is any construction going on. The property sits far from the street and even too far from the beach for my desires on Maui. As for Kaanapali, Odinnthor is right. One plus is that there is a reef about 50 yards off the shore for snorkeling, but there is a two-three foot drop in the sand to get to the water. The Honua Kai was built in separate stages and it was a HUGE construction. That may have been what you saw as YVRDave mentioned. All in all, it is a first rate resort with prices on the high side and I personally would stay a few condo/hotels away at the Kaanapali Shores which my family did for 17 days at half the price. Same sand, same reef, same ocean, same view. ;-)

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines