Kaanapali Travel Answers

change location

Kaanapali Shores vs. Maui ElDorado?

by roseeliza Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 8:29 AM

Does anyone have an opinion on how the Kaanapali Shores stacks up against the Maui ElDorado, especially for a family with teenagers? And also for the kids to be able to walk safely to and from the Whaler area?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • GracesTrips's Profile Photo

Re: Kaanapali Shores vs. Maui ElDorado?

by GracesTrips Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 8:42 AM

I'm not familiar with the Maui El Dorado but I do know Kaanapali Shores is pretty nice. When we went to Maui last year, my girlfriend and her kids (ages 16 & 23) stayed there (we were at the Ritz Carlton) and the kids had a blast. The beaches are very nice and it's a safe environment. You have surfing lessons right there and a number of places to eat and shop. Have fun!

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Odinnthor's Profile Photo

by Odinnthor Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 12:14 PM

Kaanapali Shores is on the beach, the Maui Eldorado is not. The Kaanapali Shores is much nicer, much newer, and on the beach. The Eldorado is not bad of course. It has been there forever, and likely to show some wear.

Hope my response in the "other" thread helped a bit.....d:o)

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM

We stayed at the Kaanapali Shores two years ago at a place we found on VRBO. We loved it and the unit we had was awesome it was whale season and we had huge ones jumping just a few hundred feet off the beach. We have driven past the Maui El Dorado and as stated by others it does appear it could be a little dated and rough around the edges. My vote would clearly be for the KS.

Down side to the KS is the lack of nice places to eat within walking distance. The Star Market is directly x the street so you can pick up plenty of food to eat in. There is a great fish market in a strip mall maybe 1/4 mile to the north. Get there when they first open for the best catch. I recall they open around 1100 AM when the boats come back in.

Unless they have remodeled the BBQ area it is sort of in an isolated location and with a great view of the parking lot. It should be out by the beach side, but is not. BBQ's were well maintained and clean.

I am not sure I would want to walk from KS to Whaler Village (if that's what you meant). It can be done but it is not a fun walk along the beach (part rocky & part busy highway).

We found the food at the hotel restaruant for breakfast and lunch very good and dinner was just OK. Unless they have changed "do not...do not" eat next door at the old Embassy Suites (can't recall the current name) the food was BAD!

Good thing, is even if you have to drive to go out for a nice dinner it's never more than 5-10 minutes in either direction to find a place.

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Aloha, The old ResortQuest Kaanapali Shores is now the Aston Kaanapali Shores. I was there when it was the ResortQuest Kaanapali Shores and enjoyed 17 days in a two bedroom condo. Beach is great with a reef about 60 yards out for snorkling. Check out what Trip Advisor reviews say at website: tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review...

As for the walking to Whalers Village, I would not attempt it, even from the El Dorado, a long walk and would not even attempt it from the Kaanapali Shores.

You should find out from the hotels if they are included in the free trolley to Whalers Village that stops at many hotels in the area.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines