Kaanapali Travel Answers

change location

Black Rock?

by roseeliza Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 10:35 AM

We've also been advised that, with teens, it would be best to stay south of Black Rock. Do you know if the ElDorado is south of Black Rock?

Thanks!

Quote & Answer
4 Answers
  • travelgourmet's Profile Photo

Re: Black Rock?

by travelgourmet Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 1:31 PM

Aloha, no the El Dorado condos sit above the Sheraton Mauibut on the north side next to the Royal Lahaina Resort. The north side is calmer waters and great for laying in the sun or for kayak riding. The south side of Black Rock fronts the Sheraton Maui, but remember that all beaches are open to the public. It is a bit of a walk from the El Dorado property to the ocean, but they do have a Cabana Club down on the beach. The Kanapali North golf course is between the two. Great views of the ocean and Lanai Island.

Be the first to rate this answer!

Was this helpful? Quote & Answer
  • Re: Black Rock?

by roseeliza Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 1:53 PM

Thanks so much for your reply. I've got teenagers who will be wanting to have some "freedom" and a friend told me that we need to be south of Black Rock in order for them to be able to stroll Ka'anapali. What do you think?

Thanks again!

• travelgourmet's Profile Photo

by travelgourmet Online Now Sep 12, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Strolling from the Sheraton Maui down to Whalers Village is only about a 10 minute walk on the beach path. It is a nice easy walk to see the hotels, sand, and ocean. An early evening stroll will allow you to see the tiki torches lit as well as Hawaiian music from many of the hotels.
    See the website with all the hotels listed for location: galttech.com/research/travel...

• Jamesr3939's Profile Photo

by Jamesr3939 Online Now Sep 13, 2010 at 4:47 PM

I would agree staying south of Black Rock will be a better location for older children if you want to let them off the leash to wander Kaanapali beach. The closer to Whaler Village would be what I would look at.

If being beach front for you is not an issue (it is for my spouse) you can find some very reasonable places inland around the Kaanapali golf course. They are still just a short walk to the beach and Whaler Village, just not a view of the ocean. You will want to stay between the ocean and the highway as crossing the highway can be a real treat you won't want to experience.

Your Answer
Advanced Editor View Guidelines